Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

I have a MacBookPro. We just changed from Time Warner to Verizon

I have a MacBookPro. We just changed from Time Warner to Verizon DSL. I can't access my Gmail account for email. Can you advise?

Toby K. :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Toby K. :

Are you using Apple Mail to access your email? Or do you access it via a web browser?

Customer:

I use Apple Mail.

Toby K. :

Are you receiving any errors?

Customer:

No. I haven't received anything on my gmail since we switched to Verizon. Interestingly, I do get my mail on my iPad. On the iPad, I was able to access "settings" and change the wifi code and password, but I can't seem to do that on my laptop.

Toby K. :

So Apple Mail is not receiving any new messages, but they are showing up on iPad, correct?

Customer:

Yes, that is correct. I cannot send or receive on Apple Mail on my computer.

Toby K. :

Ok, let's check the settings for Apple. Open Apple and select Mail (from menubar) > Preferences > Accounts tab.

Toby K. :

correction: Apple Mail

Customer:

ok ... I clicked on preferences and accounts tab.

Toby K. :

What do you have for 'Incoming Mail Server'?

Customer:

imap.gmail.com

Toby K. :

For username, are you using your full email address, ie,[email protected]?

Customer:

no ... just jangoldberg70. My email address [email protected]

Toby K. :

type your full email address in that field

Toby K. :

which is your Gmail email address

Customer:

ok ... done

Toby K. :

After that, retype your password XXXXX the Password XXXXX to make sure it's the correct one.

Customer:

ok ... done

Toby K. :

click the Advanced tab and make sure the port is set to 993

Customer:

the port is set at 993. It was already set there.

Toby K. :

Ok, good. Close this window and select from the menubar, Mailbox > Take all accounts online.

Customer:

ok ... done

Toby K. :

Are you receiving any new emails?

Customer:

No, and the emails that I already had are now erased.

Toby K. :

That's odd because we only changed your username.

Toby K. :

Do you see the 'envelope' icon right below the red icon that closes the window? What does it say below that, Show or Hide?

Customer:

My husband has a PC and is getting his emails. My iPad is getting emails. There must be something simple that I'm not doing. I've tried the show and hide options .. no help there.

Toby K. :

So when you select Show, do you see any folders appears in the left column?

Customer:

no.

Toby K. :

So does it now say 'Hide'?

Customer:

I went back into preferences and changed my user name back to jangoldberg70 and the old emails reappeared. No new emails though.

Toby K. :

Do you see the folders on the left column?

Customer:

I see the old emails that I had just before we changed to Verizon. One of them I received just minutes before Verizon changed everything over.

Toby K. :

Below the 'envelope' icon, you should see 'Hide', if you see 'Show' I need you to press it.

Customer:

I've done that, back and forth ... hide, show, hide, show. I only get the old emails. I want my new emails to come up on my computer. When I go into Systems Preferences and click on Gmail, I'm asked to put in my user name and password XXXXX I'm told I don't have them right.

Customer:

I just tried going into Systems Preferences again, and I'm told that my account already exists. But I still don't get my emails.

Toby K. :

Ok, I wanted to see if you able to see the folder 'All Mail' or anything related to your Gmail inbox

Toby K. :

Are you able to sign-in to your account here: https://mail.google.com?

Customer:

There is an icon beside where it says "inbox" .. it's a triangle with an exclamation point in it. This was not present before the switchover to Verizon. What does it mean?

Customer:

Yes, I can go into Safari and sign into my gmail account and get emails that way. I don't want to have to do that. I want to go to Apple Mail. If you can't help me with this, I'm going to have to try another source.

Toby K. :

Ok, go back to Mail > Preferences > Accounts. Do you see a field towards the bottom that says 'TLS Certificate'?

Toby K. :

Also, could you go to this URL and follow the prompts? http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Customer:

Yes, I see "TLS Certificate". My IT man typed in "none" quite some time ago.

Toby K. :

To the right of the field, you should see arrows pointing up and down for the dropdown menu. If you select there, is there an option to select the certificate? If so, select it and save the settings.

Customer:

ok ... done. No change.

Toby K. :

Have you gone to this URL yet? http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Customer:

I can't help but wonder if the triangle with an exclamation point inside it means something.

Toby K. :

that means it's unable to connect, so that is why I'm going over your settings to make sure they are correct

Customer:

I'll go to the URL now ...

Toby K. :

ok thanks

Customer:

It's asking me to sign in to Google mail again ... where should I go to do that?

Toby K. :

is there as username and password XXXXX for you sign-in?

Toby K. :

*is there a

Customer:

no ... it had me click on something that said I was allowing you to view my email account. Then it said I should sign in.

Toby K. :

Ok, good. Now close Apple Mail by press Mail > Quit or Command + Q keys on the keyboard.

Toby K. :

After it's closed, re-open Apple Mail.

Customer:

OMG .... I do think it's working. I'll send myself a test message if you don't mind waiting.

Toby K. :

Great! I don't mind...test away.

Customer:

I GOT IT!! Whatever you did, it was very helpful. I'm clicking on "Excellent Service." Thanks so much.

Toby K. :

Thank you!