Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an old mac mini with the original OS. I just got a

I have an old mac mini with the original OS. I just got a new printer and it states I have version IV and it takes version V or better to interconnect. I visited an Apple store with the problem and they told me I needed to upgrade to Leopord, but they didn't't have it and that I would have to contact Apple to obtain a copy. Can you help me?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ? Go to Apple menu, select About This Mac. Click More Info button. This will open System Profiler. Copy and paste everything from there to here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This won't work as I am contacting you on my PC

Is there any way to get the serial number of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. YM53836NTAC

Geroge, your Mini is a late 2005 model. But I can't get the details about the Processor or RAM. Can you get me the details about the Processor and RAM of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll provide you with all I see on the overview

Name - mac mini

Model - Power mac 10.2

CPU type - Power PC G4(1.2)

Number of CPUs - 1

CPU Speed - 1.5 GHz

Cache - 512 KB

Memory - 512 MB

Bus Speed -167MHz

Boot Rom Version - 4.9.4f1

Serial Number - YM53836

ntac

Thanks for the info George. That helped. Your Mac can handle only upto Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard but not the later versions like 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Apple is no longer selling or supporting 10.5 Leopard, but you can still buy it from online stores like eBay.com, Amazon.com etc

Make sure you buy the Retail version. Upgrading is easy. All you have to do is, when you get the discs, just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions.

My advice is, your Mac is too old and I'd recommend to get a new one. I don't recommend to invest in Leopard as it is very old too. Apple stopped updating Leoaprd long time ago. So it is not safe to use Leopard as it is vulnerable to online threats like viruses, spyware etc

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,