Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cant open a powerpoint file. Error 108. I am using powerpoint

I can't open a powerpoint file. Error 108. I am using powerpoint for mac
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have this problem with that particular presentation ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It started after I renamed it.

This is a known problem, usually happens if there is any permission related problem. First, we can try some basic troubleshooting steps. Change the name to anything (don't use special charaters, only use alphabets and numbers). In finder, right click (control + click) on the PP file and select Get Info from the pop up menu. Under sharing and permissions, if the padlock is locked unlock it

Change the permissions to read/write for everyone, admin and to all users in there. Close the window and try to open it now.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't let me change the name

Then change the permission Melanie. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I don't understand how to: XXXXX XXXXX right click (control + click) on the PP file

Could you give me more step by step how to do it please

Of course Melanie. On your Mac, go to the location where your presentation file is saved. For eg, if it is saved in Documents folder, then go to the Documents folder.

Then in there, right click on the presentation file and from the resulting pop up menu, select Get Info. Let me know if you have any difficulty following the steps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I did it. under sharing and permission it says that I don't have a know access. (sorry I am trying to translate my computer is in french)

Meanie, Down at the bottom near "Sharing and Permissions" unlock the lock with your login password. For each user in the list, set the permissions to "Read & Write" by clicking on it and selecting Read and Write. Click the small gear icon, then choose "Apply to Enclose Items" and click OK. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see the lock you are talking about.

It's on the bottom. Scroll down if you can't see it. See a sample picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have that I don't understand

Melanie, I'll walk you through it. Where is the presentation file saved ? In which folder ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on the desktop

In desktop, select the file, hold down Control key on your keyboard, click on the file and click Get Info option from the menu. Do you see a Get Info window now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I have the info window the same as the picture you sent me but there is nothing to scroll down after sharing and permissions?

On the bottom right corner, do you see a small lock icon ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no?

That is strange. In the Get Info window, what do you see under "Sharing & Permissions:" section ?

Just click on the middle of the Get Info window and scroll your mouse. Do you see it now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I know how to scroll but there is nothing under sharing and permission. Can you come on my computer ?

Unfortunately I can't. JustAnswer won't allow me to remote into your Mac. We'll sort this out.

Could you please give a screenshot of that Get Info window ? Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.wikisend.com website and give me the download links/File ID that you get after uploading it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/911754/Capture d’écran 2013-09-01 à 11.40.29.png

Thanks Melanie. Got the screenshot. I noticed that the name of the file is long. Can you try changing the name from Get Info (under Name and Extension) to something like name.pptx ?

Or can you send me the file and I will check it ? I will try to rebuild it and send it back to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it doesn't let me change the name

I can try to send it to you with the same upload process ?.

This is a 'permission' related problem. Yes, send me the file through www.wikisend.com and I will check it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The file is 554 mo I think it is to big for the upload

554mb ? That's a big presentation. Copy that file from there and paste it to your Documents folder. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid, click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and if asked, click Repair Disk. After that, try to open the presentation.

If you are still getting the error, then goto www.dropbox.com and register a free account. Then upload the file to there and let me know once you did that.

Melanie, I have an idea. There is a utility out there named "Permissions Reset for Mac" which will allow you to reset the permission for files. So on your Mac, download it from here : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31741/permissions-reset

Open Permission Reset, load your presentation file in it, and hit Reset button. After that, set Write & Execute Permission to all users in that application and click Set

(Make sure Apply to contents option is enabled). Let me know how it goes..

BTW Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection. You can also get back to me any time you want through the bookmark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will try that

How I bookmark our conversation?

If you are using Safari browser, click on Bookmarks menu and select Add Bookmark or press Command + D on your keyboard and click Add
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't work

it doesn't let me drop the file in the application. It cause an error and make the application shut down

Should I upload in dropbox?

Yes, but before uploading, compress the file. To compress, right click on the file and click compress "filename" and this will create a compressed zip file there. Upload that zip file to dropbox.

Meantime, I want you to run Disk Utility to repair permission and repair disk on your Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How?

How to what ?

To upload to dropbox ? or to run Disk Utility ?

If Disk Utility, go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid, click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and if asked, click Repair Disk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am doing the repair permission. it will take 18 minutes?

I upload the file in dropbox but I think it is still uploading it? it says 3 h??? How I know it is uploaded?

Yes, it will take some time to repair permission.

It seems like you've slow upload speed. Let it complete. The time depends up on the speed of your connection. When it is uploaded, it will show green and tick mark on the right in dropbox upload screen. Then click Done button.

After that you will see the uploaded file in dropbox. Now, right click on the file and click Share Link. Copy that link and paste in here.
Melaine, if you have any Windows PC or other Mac sitting around, you can try to copy the Powerpoint file to that computer and try to rename from it and see if it works or not. Its worth a try though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow

It open on my husband PC

What is the best way to renamed it so I don'T make it crash again

Thats great ! The best way is, open the presentation on his PC, then "Save As" (from File menu) it with different name, use a short name this time. Then copy the new saved file to your Mac and try to open it. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't work

When I click it looks like it's gonna open but then nothing and worse I can't open no other of my powerpoint files now. I am really discourage now. Maybe I should restart the computer but then I will loose our conversation, can we talk on the phone? I feel like we're going no were...

Melanie, unfortunately we can't talk on the phone. You can get back to me though the bookmark after you restart your Mac.

I thought only this particular presentation is affected. It seems like it is a system wide problem. We will fix this Mac. Restart your Mac, try to open and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was with just this file but since I did this copy on the PC and back to the mac powerpoint crashed and don't answer even after I tried forced to quit powerpoint and retried.

I will try to restart the computer

Let me know if it is not working after restarting your Mac.

And do you have the Office for Mac installation discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now powerpoint is crashed.

I can not open powerpoint

My problem is getting worse after all that time spent with you.

Please understand that I'm trying my best to help you. There is nothing we did that cause harm to your Mac.

What really happens when you open Power Point ? Do you have the Office installation discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Powerpoint don't work no more (it says doesn't respond), I can not even open a new presentation: I get the beach ball and then nothing except the message powerpoint doesn't respond

yes I have the discs

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? And what version of Office is this ? 2008 or 2011 ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

os x 10.7.5

office 2011

Melanie, we can clean the old preferences of your PowerPoint. Download the Preferences Cleaner application from here : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28609/preferencecleaner

Load Power Point application to the Preferences Cleaner app. This will load the preferences of the Power Point app. Then delete the Preferences.

If that didn't work, then I want you to reinstall the entire Office from the Office installation discs. This will replace the old PowerPoint files with new one.

Let me know how it goes..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says there is no file to delete

If there any risk if I reinstall office that I could loose all my powerpoint presentations ?

There is no risk Melanie. All your documents are safe. Reinstalling will only replace the system files and won't affect any user documents.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I reinstalled office

the update is very long to install. I am still waiting; it is half way done now

What will I do after: try to open powerpoint or a powerpoint file or a new file or the file I asked help for initially ?

I guess you are currently downloading it now. So make sure to install the update after you've downloaded it.

After installing update, open any office application, click on Help menu and select Updates or check for updates. If there is any further update found, then install that as well.

Then open Power Point application directly. Don't open the file that have problem, but instead open the one you copied (resaved copy) from your Husband's PC.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT WORKS

Should I delete the file that had a problem ?

Thank you for all your help. It was hard and discouraging but it works now!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got to go now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will read you last answer on my email tonight if you can send it on my email.

Sorry for the delay Melanie. Lost Internet connection here. I'm glad you got it worked. Yes, delete the bad file as it may cause problems again. Use the re-saved copy of that presentation file.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,