I think you are just installing the wrong driver in this case.
Please go to:http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100422302.html
This should go to the page for :
Last Updated : 11-Jul-2013
Issue Number :(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Scroll all the way to the bottom and place a check mark next to "I have read and understood the information above, and wish to download the designated software." and you should then see a red download link.
1. Click the link. The download will start automatically.
2. Files are saved on your Mac's desktop or Downloads folder in most cases The file should be named Mac_PS_Ver400_01.dmg or close to that.
3. Double-click the file to mount the Disk Image.
4. Double-click the mounted Disk Image.
5. Double-click the Installer file in the folder. Installation starts automatically.
6. When the installation is done, restart your Mac.
Then, you should be able to add printer as normal:
In System Preferences > Print & Fax. if the Print & Fax lock icon appears locked, click the lock icon and enter an administrator name and password XXXXX prompted. Click the + (plus) icon below the Printers pane on the left to open the Add Printer application.
If all goes well, the printer should show up under the Default tab within a minute or two.If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question
. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.
Thanks and good luck,