Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Dave, I have a new MacBook Air that I want to use to

Hi Dave, I have a new...
Hi Dave,

I have a new MacBook Air that I want to use to play songs off a Segate PC/Mac compatible harddrive for my DJ business. I plug the harddrive into the MacAir and it reads it; it even plays everything; but I have over 100,000 songs on my harddrive and when I try to import the library it pulls everything to the MacAir, which it cannot fit that many songs on it. When I tell Itunes to choose my library from the harddrive, it then says I don't have permission to do that.

Is there a way to get the MacAir to read the Seagate harddrive and play the songs on it, without pulling all the song drives over to the MacAir harddrive?

Thank you for your time!
Andy Papaleo
8/26/2013
ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Software Engineer

welcome to just answer.

It would be my pleasure to assist you on this.

Did you attempt to move your media file to the external hard drive, so itunes reads all your songs from the external drive.

Please follow these steps in order to accomplish this.
Guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449
Make sure you do step 11 This is crucuial to perserving your library.

Let me know if this helps.
Please take a minute to leave me a positive feedback.

If you need further assistance i am standing by.

regards,
ehab tutor
For the permission problem, please make sure you have the right permissions on your media folder.

Log in using an administrator account.

Locate your iTunes Media folder. If you are not sure where your iTunes Media folder is located, launch iTunes, open Preferences from the iTunes Menu and click Advanced. This will show you where the iTunes Media folder is located.

Select the iTunes Media folder.

From the File menu, choose Get Info.

Click the disclosure triangle to open the Ownership and Permissions section of the Info window.

Set the permissions as follows (you may be prompted to enter an administrator account password):

Owner: access Read & Write

Group: access Read Only

Others: access Read Only

Click the "Apply to enclosed items" button.

Close the Get Info window.

Let me know if this solves the permission issue.

regards,
ehab tutor
I'm not sure what the disclosure triangle is here. My songs are there but still greyed out. Thoughts?
which osx version are you using?

regards,
ehab tutor
I have the newest version Mac Air, newest OS version too
Ok

please go to this link: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/415

scroll down to see how to change the permission in screens.

you need to adjust the permissions for the media folder as i told you in the above post.

let me know how it goes

regards,
ehab tutor
Hi Andy,

where you able to follow the steps to change the permissions for the Media folder?

let me know how it goes.

regards,
ehab tutor

I think I have it working. It is reading now but I don't know if everything's copying over w/o bringing the full files. It says that it has some time left copying. Once it's done copying ill leave a good review on it hopefully of it working.

Thanks!
did you do step 11 regarding the library organize.

This is very important as it prevents overwriting of the already media library files that you had on your mac pro.

Yeah don't forget to leave me a positive rating as this is the only way i get compensated for my time and effort.

A bonus will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ehab Tutor
Ok still not copying...it has been copying for about 30 min and I now get the following note:

'Attempting to copy to the disk Seagate backup plus drive failed. You do not have the privilege to make changes'

All I'm trying to do is get this Mac air to read my Seagate drive and the music on it to play it that way without putting everything on the Mac air hard drive itself.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
can you also check the permission on the folder where you are trying to put the media folder for itunes. it should have similar permissions in order for you to be able to have your library there.

So you need to do the same steps for permissions for the folder where your songs reside and where you want itunes to read as a library

regards,
ehab tutor
Ok ill look for that and try that and let you know my success

Thanks!
Is it going well?

regards,

Ehab tutor
Not sure; seems like it is stuck processing one song; "adding files"

I'm letting it run; ill let you know if it changes

Thanks,
I assure you its a permission related issue.
Now the itunes application is trying to access the folder on your external hard drive that's why it needs write permissions in order to be able to write the song you already have on your mac air to the external drive, as the library for itunes should be in one place.

If you are not stuck with i-tunes i can recommend other software that you can use to listen to your music files from your external harddrive.

regards,
ehab tutor
ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Software Engineer
Hi Andy,

Here is the player i was talking about, you can download it for free and use it to playback your external harddrive music and keep the itunes for your mac air media files.

IF the media folder migration fails you can resort to this option which is a good one.

http://www.getsongbird.com/desktop/

Let me know if this helps.

regards,
ehab tutor
It's still looking like its copying. It still pops up with the warning like I said earlier, but then it still goes on copying and iTunes is reading the library from the hard drive.

Hopefully this is going to work. As soon as it is done and working I'd be happy to give a great review and such

Thanks,
Can you see the songs from your external drive appearing in itunes?

regards,
ehab tutor
Not yet, it keeps saying 'adding files' and its running through my hard drive.
Ok.

seems to be working, hopefully.

let me know of the result and if you need any extra assistance.

regards,
ehab tutor
You know it seemed it was; but all of a sudden iTunes keeps closing. It says "iTunes quit unexpectedly"

Do I just try and restart the whole process? The hard drive seems unlocked; iTunes permission is changed, and all I'm trying to do is get the iTunes to play the hard drive without pulling everything over.

Restart the whole process?

Thanks,
This is really weired it seems like the number of files is too large for the process.

yes please attempt to restart the process.

regards,
ehab tutor
Ok I'm going to restart entirely; see what happens. Ill let you know if it continues

Thanks,
Ok been trying to redo the process and a couple things keep happening;

-process starts over each time iTunes closes
-iTunes keeps closing unexpectedly

There's got to be a simple way; a Seagate hard drive and a Mac air. I click show details on the iTunes message; it says it is a crash thread for iTunes 11.0.5 and Mac osx 10.0.4

Does that help?
Hi Andy,

it seems to be a problem while connecting to the harddrive maybe due to the large number of files.

can you attempt the following.

create a folder on your external and then give it the appropriate permissions as we've done before.

Next do the same steps and select the empty folder you just did as the new place for the itunes library.

let me know how it goes.

regards,
ehab tutor
Like a separate folder on the external drive, then move all the songs into that one folder?

Thanks,
no first without moving the songs to it.

first we need to make sure itunes reads the files from this new folder.

so intially leave it empty and do all the 11 steps , changing the itunes library path to this new folder.

Also remember to change this folder's permissions as we did before.

let me know how it goes.

if this succeeds we will then move the songs to this folder.

Did you get the link for the other player i suggested?

regards,
ehab tutor
Ok ill try that and let you know.

I did see the other player link, but with my DJ business I somewhat prefer to stick with iTunes because of its familiarity. I will keep that on hand for worst case scenario.

Ill try this new folder trick, change permissions, follow steps then let you know. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks,
Just checking.

Any progress?

regards,
ehab tutor
Nothing new yet; still copying
I take that back;

It seems its still copying, but now on a much smaller level, I tried to get my purchased items on my iTunes account to the Mac air and it won't let me. Do I need to change permissions back after my hard drive is done copying and working to get my purchased items through iTunes?

Thanks,
Hi Andy,

How did it go?

regards,

Ehab Tutor
ehabtutor
ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Software Engineer