Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I try turning on my MAC, a file icon wit a question mark

When I try turning on my MAC, a file icon wit a question mark starts to flash rather than my usual login page. Anything I can do or should I bring it in to the store?
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did you run an update?

Can you tell me how/when did this started?

The error you are getting means it is unable to find the software.

Can you restart the system holding the Option key and then chose the Macintosh Drive and restart again (normally) to see if it boots up.

Have a look at the Apple support page here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1440

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried holding the option key while stopping and then restarting but I'm back to the flashing icon. The problem started earlier today when a circular icon with reainbow colours suddenly appeared and everything froze. I turned off the computer and restarted it, expecting the problem to go away, but now am stuck.

Did it get you to the menu where it shows the drives?

OR

The option key just got you back to the flashing folder screen?

Try This

Restart the computer, then hold the C key during startup.

From the Utilities menu, choose Disk Utility. Don't click Continue.

Select your Mac OS X disk (named "Macintosh HD" by default) in the left side of the Disk Utility window.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click Repair Disk to verify and repair any issues with your Mac OS X startup disk.

After repairing the disk, try to start up normally.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1440

Kindly let me know if that resolves the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you mean the letter C or the control or command key? I tried the letter C but just got back the the flashing icon. No utilities menu appeared.

It's the letter C. You need to continuously hold the letter C until it takes you to the Disk Utility Menu.

As soon as it restarts, hold the C.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did that but after a minute the blank screen again displayed a flashing file icon t with the ? in the middle. Any other controls to try?

Which Macbook is this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MacBook Air . I've had it for a year and it's worked without a hitch until now. I had it with my on a recent trip and wonder if it got banged up a bit, eb even though i had it with me on the flight at all times.

Do you have the installation disks?

Please try again, this should work:

Have a look at these instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When i pressed the option key after restarting as advised on that site, a newtork option menu appeared showing the local Wi fi networks in my area, but no other menus could be accessed.

Strange.

Those keys takes you to start-up manager that should show hard-drives.

Do you have the installation disks?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, everything was done at the store. I checked the original box but no disc is in there.

I am out of ideas - I will open this question to other experts to see if they can help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I'll wait. If nothing works I'll go to the store.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm going to be honest with you. The folder with the question mark indicates that your Mac can't read the system files from the Hard Disk to boot the OS X.

The folder with question mark usually occurs when the hard drive is failing or the system files were corrupted.

From reading your communication with Kamil, I guess it is the hard drive since you can't find the HD in the Startup Manager.

I want you to try some hardware resets like System Management Controller Reset and the PRAM and NVRAM reset.

Follow thw steps below to reset the SMC of your Mac

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM. Follow the steps below;

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can try to reinstall your Mac OS X via Internet Recovery.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got the three statup chimes, released the keys, but no re-boot, just the flashing icon.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Command and R keys at the same time until it boot into the Mac OS X Utilities windows (Internet Recovery). Let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I got a n internet recorey bicon, then an icon with a globe on it and a ! in the middle. below it says apple.com/support.

No, that is not internet recovery. That is network boot method, not internet recovery. Turn off your Mac and unplug the MagSafe. Wait 3 minutes. Connect it back. Turn on and immediately hold down (left) Command and R keys until it boot into Utilities window. Let me know if it still not booting into Utilities screen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, just the message "starting internet recovery" and then the apple.com/support icon under which -6003F appears

That is not good. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and S keys. Does it boot into a blackscreen with white letters ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, just the same white screen and flashing file icon with ?

That confirms the problem is with the hard drive. Your Mac can't even boot into Internet Recovery. We've tried all possible troubleshooting steps so far. This is something that can't fix online. I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. You will have to take it to the Apple Store to get the hard drive replaced :(

If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks to both of you for trying. There's a new Mac store at the mall so I'll go there tomorrow A.M.

You're welcome

If you've any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,