Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

hi i have a 2009 mac pro desktop. Its been working very well.

However, in the past few...
hi i have a 2009 mac pro desktop. Its been working very well. However, in the past few days, after i shutdown normally by going thru the apple at top left, it seems to turn off normally, then about 5 seconds later, i see the power light on the tower come back on. I notice the usb still have power to them, as the usb receiver for the mouse blinks when i move the mouse. Then I hit the power button to turn the machine on, and it wont tune on like usua. It is as if the machine is in sleep or something. I need to hold the button down until it turns off completely. is this perhaps a bad cmos battery issue? thank you
8/23/2013
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

It could be a bad cmos battery issue.. lets try a pram reset first.

And if the issue is fixed by the pram reset, but comes back in a few days / weeks.. Then we know its time to replace the battery.

heres how to perform the pram reset.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Once thats complete.. Start the mac, then test by shutting it down.. Does it still exhibit the same behaviour?

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

yeah, ive tried the pram thing twice now, and the same thing happens. SO you think itsa CMOS battery thing?

It could be..

Lets try a few more repairs first. Before we go into those repairs, what version of mac os do you have.

10.6 10.7 10.8 ?

i have 10.8.4 running on an early mac pro 2009

Thanks!!

Lets try a repair first.. This repair wont erase your files.

Shut down the mac, hold dommand command and R

boot into the recovery drive, and then choose reinstall mountain lion mac osx

( as long as you do not choose erase and install, or erase , this wont erase any of your files, documents or programs )

Once the repair install is complete.. Let the mac start.. Then, go to disk utility in side your applications, and run a permissions repair.

After that, if you still have the issue, then I will send you a link to order a cmos battery..

Thanks! D.Sandlin

I bought this computer used, and I think it never had a recovery drive because I have looked for it even in terminal, and I cannot find one. I may just go ahead and reinstall the system anew, this time with a recovery partition. can I install mountain lion by itself, if it was bought in the mac ap store? Or do i need to install lion then the mountain lion update? thank you

That depends..

Did this computer originally have lion or moutain lion on it?

it came with mountain lion installed, but i think the computer originally was bought with snow leopard, and the guy who owned it upgraded it. Either way I might have to download Mountiain lion again. I restarted from a time machine backup, which booted to mountain lion of a month ago, and it tirned off with no problem. So its likely this is not a hardware issue, but a software issue having to do with my having messed with the drive too much, in my efforts to increase hard disk space. Is there a way to reinstall mountain lion without first installing all the other ones (snow leopard which i assume was upgraded to lion, then mountXXXXX XXXXXon) Can i just install mountain lion by buying it and not upgrading the others? thank you

When mountain lion installed, the recovery partition shoudl have installed with it.

Can you check by restarting the computer, holding down command and R ?

i do think it had a recoverypartition, but i mistakenly erased it, because i thought it was part of ToolTech pro (they have this function that makes a backup). So I deleted it when i stopped using tool tech pro, but it was obviously not that. I have restarted, held down command R, and restarted with the option down, and there is no recovery partition. I must have deleted it.

Understood

Instead of buying another copy of ML , if you have an external hard drive.. You can use it to create a recovery disk.. Heres how

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

If you dont have an external hard drive, then you may want to consider purchasing a Mountain Lion disk..

Especially if this was an upgrade from snow leopard, at some point.. Your definitely going to want to clean install.

But you are absolutely right, when yuo restored from the Time machine backup, that showed us that this isnt a hardware issue, but a software issue.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist