Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I recently bought the WD my book, studio ed. II.....I have

I recently bought the WD my book, studio ed. II.....I have a mac and I wanted to put my itunes library on the new drive.....I successfully copied my lib to new drive and I put the original in the trash (though have not emptied it). When I click on itunes icon in dock, it points to the copy in the trash and can't open. How do I make the itunes icon in dock point to the new "my book" drive?

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To choose the new itunes library, you will need to Press and hold down the option key while launching itunes, Select Choose Library and navigate to the itunes library on your external hard drive

Appleologist :

I will stand by until you have selected the new library. Let me know if you run into difficulties

Customer:

Thanks......even when holding down "option" key, I get the msg that itunes is in trash?

Appleologist :

You will need to quit itunes completely first. Make sure itunes is closed then press and hold the option key first. Then click on itunes

Appleologist :

Were you able to get the option box to pop up after pressing and holding down the option key?

Customer:

yes....but it seems in the My Book, I didn't have a folder "Library".....do I create new folder with Music, Movies, Mobile apps etc in it?

Appleologist :

Well it depends on how you transferred your itunes library. Did you transfer the whole music folder? If so click on iTunes, then choose Previous itunes library and select a library

Appleologist :

There should just be a single iTunes Library.itl

Customer:

in the My Book? I just hit create new lib and pointed towards My Book drive and itunes came up, yet the old itunes is not in trash, how can I tell it is pointing to correct lib?

Appleologist :

Did you just drag the old itunes out of the trash?

Customer:

earlier

Appleologist :

OK lets make sure. In itunes, Click on itunes in the top menu bar and choose Preferences. Then click on the advance tab

Customer:

/Volumes/My Book/iTunes 1/iTunes Media

Appleologist :

Ok Good. That means it is pointing to the itunes from your external hard drive

Customer:

yeah, that looks good.....path is a little wordy?

Appleologist :

Its normal. It usually says Users/Work/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music for the computer

Appleologist :

To switch back and fourth (if you need to) just hold down the option key and choose a different library

Customer:

now do I put old lib in trash? or do I put itunes icon on Mac HD in trash?

Appleologist :

You will only need to trash just the itunes library, not the application itself

Appleologist :

Do not empty the trash until you confirm all your stuff is there

Customer:

ok, stupid ques, but where do I find lib? I think I keep on seeing application but not lib

Appleologist :

Not stupid at all. To find the itunes library, open your finder window (click on the happy face icon) Click on music in the left column. That single itunes folder is where all of your itunes library info is

Appleologist :

Were you able to locate the itunes folder?

Customer:

I'm having trouble finding "happy face".......etc

Appleologist :

The happy face icon is the first icon in your dock. It is the finder window

Customer:

I find itunes app under application, but not lib

Appleologist :

Instead of going to application folder, do you see the music folder?

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Customer:

oh, found it under Admin

Customer:

do I take from admin and place in trash, then try to launch, if ok......empty trash?

Customer:

I have 18 previous iTunes libraries ?

Appleologist :

Not the admin folder, just the itunes folder

Appleologist :

What did you place in the trash before?

Appleologist :

The admin folder contains all of your data so leave that and just take the itunes folder within the music folder

Appleologist :

Do you only want to have your itunes library on your external hard drive so that you will only be able to access it when you plug in your hard drive?

Customer:

yeah. I suppose, I want to be able to open the way I have always done......I just want music to be held on the My Book

Customer:

since 13,000 tracks have eaten up my storage on my HD

Customer:

?

Appleologist :

Ok so then all you need to do is just delete the entire itunes folder on your computer

Appleologist :

That will clear up some space. Then before you empty the trash just confirm that all of your music is on your external hard drive

Customer:

ok, slid folder into trash....so now it is music folder holding only garage band....

Appleologist :

Thats fine. Now open itunes, go to iTunes<Preference<Advance and make sure it is still pointing to the itunes on your My book

Customer:

uh oh, I went to open itunes and all I have is 1400 track, not 13000

Appleologist :

How did you transfer your itunes music onto your external hard drive?

Customer:

copied, took 1/2 hr or so....

Appleologist :

Did you drop the entire music folder onto your external drive?

Customer:

should I start again? discard off of My Book, bring back lib from trash....etc?

Appleologist :

Just drag and drop the entire music folder and place it into your external hard drive

Appleologist :

So you may need to take it out of the trash first

Customer:

can't remember (wife did it), I could start agin and make sure it is whole music folder

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

I would defiantly start over.

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

So drag it out of the trash and place it on your desktop

Appleologist :

Then from the desktop, drop it into your external drive. The transfer will take some time so let me know when it is complete

Customer:

didn't take long........worrisome?

Customer:

its on desk top

Appleologist :

Lets check the size. Select the entire folder and Choose File<Get into. What is the size amount in the upper righ

Appleologist :

You will get a pop up box with a size in the upper right corner

Customer:

96.7 GB 19,000+ items

Appleologist :

Ok now do the same for the folder on your external hard drive

Customer:

69.2

Customer:

throw away one on My Book and replace with desktop's?

Appleologist :

Yup!

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

When it is done transferring, check the size again

Customer:

ok.....it says it will take about 4 hrs.....longer than last time by a great deal

Appleologist :

It will re-calculate

Appleologist :

Probably 45 mins to an hour

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

I will stand by

Customer:

ok, it is done and it says it is 96.7.......I put the itunes on desk top into trash and I now have to set path to My Book....I have two folders on My Book (iTunes and iTunes Music)?

Appleologist :

Choose the entire iTunes music folder

Appleologist :

itunes music is within the itunes folder so that will be selected too

Customer:

ok.....used "Itunes" and opened up to find 13,014 tracks....which is correct...

Appleologist :

perfect! Lastly, check the path again to make sure it is pointing to your external hard drive

Customer:

/Volumes/My Book/iTunes Music...........

Appleologist :

You got it! Now all you need to do is empty the trash to clear up space in your computer's hard drive

Customer:

in advance......should I worry that I have that iTunes Music folder not inside the iTunes folder on My Book ?

Appleologist :

Check the size of both folders.

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

There should be an itunes music folder within the itunes folder too. Check to see if there is one there. You may have a double

Customer:

Music - 96.22, iTunes 0 96.72

Appleologist :

Ok so you do have a double

Customer:

meaning iTunes Music 96.22

Customer:

and iTunes 96.72

Customer:

throw out iTunes Music....looks redundant

Appleologist :

Yup. It looks like you transferred it twice

Customer:

got it......

Appleologist :

If you feel more comfortable, you don't to empty the trash now, you can wait a few days to go through your library on your external hard drive

Customer:

actually throwing out now.......I do have a WD passbook (or something like that) that I back up with every month or so....I suppose most of my music is on that?

Appleologist :

Ohh ok. Then yes you can empty now. Time machine backs up everything so it will be there anyway

Customer:

ok.....I guess we're done.....Thank you very much!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon

Appleologist :

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please feel free to provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day