Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My wife has a Macbook on Leopard and spent the weekend creating

a slideshow on iPhoto....
My wife has a Macbook on Leopard and spent the weekend creating a slideshow on iPhoto. Today she accidentally deleted her work, and is surprised there is no file in the trash to recover. Where are slideshows stored? Is it possible to create a slideshow with no file saved? (I'm not a Mac expert.)
8/12/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Does your wife use Time Machine to back up her MacBook?

Also, did she Export the slideshow out of iPhoto or was it still inside the iPhoto Library?

She uses Time Machine. I had backed up her laptop to Time Machine (for a different reason) over the weekend, but the slideshow does not appear on the Time Machine. (Further explanation: I was migrating her account to a new Macbook, and got everything over to the new computer, but noticed that her slideshow did not show up in iPhoto on the new machine. That should have been a clue that something wasn't right, I guess.)

She had not exported out of iPhoto. It was still inside. I've seen something about using the + button at the LL to create slideshows to save -- I don't know if she did it that way or not.

Thanks.

To clarify; was the slideshow lost prior to the backup and therefore is not on the older Mac either?

Should have been more clear. The slideshow was lost just an hour ago. She is still working on the older Mac.

Okay, so then the slideshow was created on the older Mac before or after the Time Machine backup? I'm just trying to establish a proper timeline to see what, if any, recovery possibilities are available to you.

Saturday: Slideshow started on older Mac

Sunday: Did a Time Machine backup, then created duplicate account in Newer Mac (my own laptop) from the backup. The slideshow did not show up when I looked in iPhoto. Everything else looked good. My wife continued to work on her older Mac.

Today: Accidentally deleted the slideshow.

Okay,

If the slideshow was created in iPhoto and iPhoto was not still open/running on the older Mac at the time of the backup then the data *should* still be in the iPhoto Library.
Note: a Slideshow is not "saved" as a distinct file. It is similar to a playlist, Album, or Event, and is just another view of existing pictures. So it is not an easy item to recover on it's own. If actual photos are deleted they may appear in the iPhoto Trash but a slideshow may not.

You can try the following on the older Mac but please note that any changes made to iPhoto after the backup will be lost:

Quit iPhoto if running.

In the Finder, click the "go" menu item in the menu bar at the very top of the screen.

Select Home from the menu list

Open the Pictures folder

You should see the iPhoto Library. single-click it to select it.

Now open Time Machine (so you see the pictures folder sitting on the "starfield" animation".

Locate the iPhoto Library in the Time Machine backup from prior to the loss and click Restore.

If the Slideshow was previously sitting in the source list at the left side of the iPhoto window then it should appear there again after the restore is finished.
---
In order to permanently save a Slideshow, it must be Exported. I'll provide the options for future reference. Depending on the version of iPhoto used the steps may be slightly different - these are for iPhoto '11.
---
Select the slideshow in the Source list.

Click the Export button in the toolbar. (You can also choose File > Export, and then click Slideshow.)

Depending on the devices you'll use to view your slideshow, select one or more sizes.

Unless you want iPhoto to send your slideshow to iTunes, deselect “Automatically send slideshow to iTunes.”

Click the Export button.

Choose a location to save your slideshow and click OK.
---

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

I will try that when I get home. Time Machine is on an external hard drive, so I'll have to hook that up, but I assume everything else above is the same. I don't understand why I should be able to restore from Time Machine, but it still didn't appear when the account was ported to my laptop (Snow Leopard.) Still, worth trying. Tnx.

Yes, hook up the external drive before starting and it should all be the same from that point.

By all rights it *should* have appeared on the new Mac. However, if there is a newer version of iPhoto installed there then it could have complicated matters.

John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid