Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello is there anyone there? I need help with my iPhone 4

Customer Question
Hello is there anyone there...
Hello is there anyone there? I need help with my iPhone 4S
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
8/12/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Did you by chance purchase an AppleCare+ warranty on this iPhone?

No I didn't :-(

Thanks Barbra-Ann. I'm sorry to hear that.

How did you normally sync this iPhone? If it was via iTunes (or if you don't mind losing information) then you can try the following which will cure any software issue.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device, clear any pass codes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the device directly to a USB port on the computer

* Turn off the device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If the above does not work or iTunes won't recognize the iPhone then it is most probably a hardware issue (which is my gut feeling currently).

if you have damaged the phone this will not officially be covered under the normal limited warranty provided by Apple BUT it would have been under AppleCare+. In this caseyou would need to pay normal repair costs.

If this does not work out and you choose to use a reputable 3rd party repair service, I would recommend an authorized service center. If you have none locally you may try using iResQ. Sadly they are in the US and international shipping would apply but they are pretty much the nation's premier iPhone service center and have bene for a good number of years.

They offer fast, free diagnostics and very fair repair prices.

http://www.iresq.com//iphone-repair/iphone-4s-repair.html

They can make a quick, free diagnosis and economical repair for you for as little as $89.00 usd.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Thank you but since the screen is black I cannot do what you are advising.

Is the iPhone reconginzed when connected to iTunes?
Barbra-Ann, I just got notification that you rated my service as bad.

However, I think you have misunderstood my instructions. As stated, they are meant to be done on your computer. There is no requirement to have a usable screen at the beginning of this procedure, this is merely an attempt to cure any software related issues or verify if the iPhone is still responding.

I appreciate your frustration but I am here to assist and unjustified ratings do not help communication and they may jeopardize my livelihood.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid