jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair 2 years Apple Tech Support
63323962

I am trying to download music into my new ipod...I cn get them

I am trying to download music into my new ipod...I cn get them sync but nothing downloads

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

jstinehelfer :

Does your Ipod show up in Itunes when you connect it?

Customer:

yes

jstinehelfer :

To use automatic syncing to load music on an iPod, you need to set up the iPod's Music tab in iTunes.

Select the iPod in iTunes. There is a row of "tabs" (starting with Summary). Click on Music there. If the iPod is currently set up for automatic syncing, Sync Music should be checkmarked there. Below that, if your entire iTunes Music library will fit on the iPod, you can choose to sync Entire music library.

Otherwise, you can choose to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, create a selection of songs that you want synced to the iPod. Those recently downloaded songs need to be included in the selection, if you want them to sync to the iPod.

When you Apply the change, the selection of songs on the Music tab syncs to the iPod. Going forward, any changes you make to your iTunes Music library, that are related to the selection on the Music tab, sync automatically the next time you connect the iPod (or click the Sync button).

NOTE: If Sync Music was not already checked on the Music tab, when you click Apply, the iPod's current content will be replaced by the selection of songs on the Music tab.

Here is one simple way to set it up. Create a new regular playlist in iTunes and call it something like "iPod Songs." Put ALL of the songs you want on the iPod on that playlist, including those recently downloaded songs. On the iPod's Music tab, select ONLY that new playlist as your selection. When you click Apply, the songs on that playlist sync to the iPod.

jstinehelfer :

Let me know if this works

Customer:

How do I create a new list?

jstinehelfer :

Let me open up my Itunes one sec

jstinehelfer :

To create a new playlist, view your library and click Playlists in the button group across the top. Your existing playlists will appear in a column on the left. To add a new one, click the Add button at the bottom of the list and select New Playlist. Your empty list will slide to the right and a graphical view of your library will appear on the left. Use the buttons across the top to focus the view, and drag what you want into your playlist. Enter a name for your list on the upper right and click Done. If you want to edit a list you've already created, click the Gear button to the right of the Add button and select Edit Playlist. You can then add and delete entries just as you do when you create a new playlist.

Customer:

How do I do that?

jstinehelfer :

Hmm let me see if I can find a step by step with photo's

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1651 <click link and it will open a new window. This has a more detailed approach to creating a playlist

Customer:

When I open the ipod in itunes i get a window that that say it is connected...no row of tabs

Customer:

Can we talk on phone?

jstinehelfer :

do you see the ipod listed on the left

jstinehelfer :

click on it.

jstinehelfer :

then you should see tabs at the top

jstinehelfer :

We are not aloud to give out person information like phone or email I am sorry

Customer:

the ipod is on the right

jstinehelfer :

give me one sec I think i have a video for you but I want to check it

jstinehelfer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8GF2GDTGQo <click link. Try this video and see if it helps

Customer:

it works...how do i eject before disconnecting

jstinehelfer :

Right beside the Ipod name there should be an arrow.

Customer:

what does eject mean?

jstinehelfer :

Eject is the same thing your suppose to do with

jstinehelfer :

flash drives, memory sticks etc

jstinehelfer :

so you do not loose information on that device

jstinehelfer :

It is like a virtual eject like having a CD in your drive and ejecting it physically

Customer:

Does it mean pull out from computer

jstinehelfer :

No

jstinehelfer :

When you eject it logically stop connection to the ipod.

jstinehelfer :

Once you do that then its safe to just disconnect the cable

jstinehelfer :

this will explain more about the eject. When and where not to eject etc