David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I have a problem w/ my iMac. This is a gradually increasing

I have a problem w/ my iMac. This is a gradually increasing problem. My wired mouse will just not click. I can scroll but no clicking. I have rebooted in safe mode, same prob. I have rebooted w/ alt/cmd/r/p and same problem. Any ideas
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

The most effective way to approach this issue is to use a process of elimination, and to start in the most broad troubleshooting and narrow it down. This could be a software issue or a hardware issue. First off lets look at the hardware, and the most obvious thing is the mouse itself.

Do you have another mouse that you can test, or another computer that you can test the mouse on?

Please let me know and I will know how to continue.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am on another Imac but it is a magic mouse and wireless key board. Can I switch the wired key board to this one?

So if it's a Magi Mouse, it is wireless and not wired, is that right?

You can switch a wired keyboard, by just unplugging it and connecting it to the other iMac.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK did that the wired one is working fine

The wired mouse is working fine on the second iMac, but is that the mouse that is not working on the original iMac?

Check the wired mouse on both iMac, and then let me know.

Also if the problem is with the wireless mouse only, disconnect it in the System Preferences - Bluetooth pane, and then configure it with the second iMac to test.

Thank you in advance :)

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, it is the wired mouse that does not work on the 1st imac. It works fine on 2d imac

The shut down the first iMac. Safe Boot will start the iMac in minimal configuration, and while starting up it repairs permissions and software issues with the disk format.

To start in Safe Mode, press the power button, and then press and hold the Shift button on the keyboard. Release the Shift button when you see the spinning gear below the Apple logo on startup.

If Safe Mode has worked, you will see the login window, and Safe Mode in red letters.

Login and then test how click is working.

Please let me know how you get on, we will not be finished at this stage.

Sincerely.
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Interestingly, it started working while I was doing something else. I am starting in safe mode

Is it an intermittent problem anyway? Is it in any application, or is it more so with one particular application that you see the problem?

Let me know how Safe Boot goes meanwhile.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Safe boot is working fine, now. I think . No it is global problem when it happens. My normal proggies load up at start re: Skype, and the mouse will curse but I can't get it to clk on anything, apple, skype, nothing. I will try to start normally and see if there is a change.

One of the things Safe Boot does is disable login items. It may be that one of those login items is the cause of the problem. It could be any of them, and it could be that it is stealing the focus of the mouse making the click not work globally.

let me know what happens when you restart normally. Safe Boot also does background repairs that may have fixed the issue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did a normal restart, no problem. Is it possible that the graphics card is overheating and that is the issue?

No, the graphics card overheating would not extend this type of symptom. By the way sorry for the slow reply I did not see a notification and was waiting.

This was a software issue probably with a login item. Safe Boot seems to have corrected it.

If it reoccurs then we can eliminate login items to troubleshoot this further.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions on this. Giving me a rating now doesn't close this question on this topic.

Yours sincerely,
David.