Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

HiI have a G4 iMAc 20". USB 2.I have 10.4.11 running

Hi I have a G4 iMAc...
Hi

I have a G4 iMAc 20". USB 2.
I have 10.4.11 running and are struggling to get classic going.

I have original 9.2.1 OS on DVD and have downloaded 9.2.2 update.

I have a MAcbook Pro i7 running 10.8.

Your advise and wisdom is being called upon :-)
8/3/2013
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you today.

jstinehelfer :

Can you please tell me what year is your G4 Imac 20 inch?

jstinehelfer :

I believe I found the specs for your Mac.

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp94 <click here for you G4 Imac specs and compare to the requirements of OS9

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2299 < click here for OS9 Requirements.

jstinehelfer :

I believe your system should be able to run OS 9 but I wonder about the with virtual memory set to at least 40 MB

jstinehelfer :

Is this the original OS classic disk that came with your G4 Imac?

Customer:

Hi John

Customer:

20-inch 1.25GHz
SuperDrive
M9290LL/A

Customer:

this is what I have

jstinehelfer :

I am still researching this more for you.

Customer:

It is NOT the original disk that came with it.

Customer:

I bought the original 9.2.1 DVD from Amazon

jstinehelfer :

I am reading that classic is very picky about having the original classic disk for the computer it came with

jstinehelfer :

Let me see if there is a way around this

Customer:

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I need to "Bless" the system folder.

Customer:

so I did copy the system folder from the original DVD.

Customer:

I also saw this...

Customer:

http://www.justanswer.com//mac-computers/6hgq4-imac-g4-os-10-4-11-trying-install-9-2-1.html

jstinehelfer :

I will take a look at that link.

jstinehelfer :

Have you seen this support article from Apple?

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21672 < how to bless a system folder

Customer:

I can try that. But doubt if it will work. the iMac does not boot from the 9.2.1 DVD

Customer:

It only boots from the Tiger DVD that I have

jstinehelfer :

so it will not boot to the 9 disk at all so you have not been able to install it what so ever then correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but I then thought I can run it inside classic mode

Customer:

of 10.4.11

Customer:

google hits suggested...

Customer:

1. Copy "System Folder" from original 9.2 DVD to a clean partition or a file location

Customer:

its the blessing bit that I can do

Customer:

2. bless it

Customer:

sorry CAN NOT do

jstinehelfer :

I did find this as well

jstinehelfer :

You cannot install MacOS 9 by running the MacOS 9 installer in the Classic environment. To run the MacOS 9.2.1 installer, you must boot from the MacOS 9.2.1 CD. If your commputer doesn't boot MacOS 9, then you have to take a different tack.

If your computer cannot boot MacOS 9, then you may restore your Classic environment from the CDs that came with your system. Its really simple. MacOS 9 is contained in a disk image file that you simply open. It mounts a virtual volume on your Desktop. You drag the System Folder and Applications (MacOS 9) folder to your favorite place on your MacOS X computer. If you are networked to another computer or if you use CD-R/RW Sneaker Net, then you can copy an installation of MacOS 9.2.1 from one computer to another.

jstinehelfer :

where I got this from is here http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/46124/cant-install-classic-9-2

jstinehelfer :

He was able to get it going

jstinehelfer :

Read and see if it pertains to your situation

jstinehelfer :

did I loose you?

Customer:

sorry John

Customer:

just stepped out

Customer:

back now

jstinehelfer :

No problem looks like the website is acting up. I lost all of our conversation and have a blank screen

Customer:

I don't have the original CD's that came with this iMac

Customer:

The 9.2.1 DVD I have is an original Mac OS X install BUT not the one that shipped with the iMac :-(

jstinehelfer :

hmm

Customer:

indeed. hmm

Customer:

And I don't live around the corner from all the folks that sells the stuff on eBay or Amazon. Else I would walk to them and beg them nicely to give the originals.

Customer:

I am down here in South Africa

jstinehelfer :

I have not given up yet here. It seems the problem is that you need the 9.2.2 but there has to be a work around just have not come across it yet

jstinehelfer :

click that link and see if you can read this from a google group

Customer:

yes I can read it...

Customer:

let me look

Customer:

into it

jstinehelfer :

It looks like it has a free download for the 9.2.2 from apple

Customer:

yes. I have started the download ...

Customer:

500 od meg

Customer:

o boy...only 3 Apple hours left ;-(

Customer:

John I am going to download this and give it a go in the morning

Customer:

its 8pm here

Customer:

It llooks promising

Customer:

Can we touch base again tommorow ?

jstinehelfer :

Your six hours a head of me

Customer:

yes

Customer:

you on the east coast?

Customer:

then its is 6 hours

Customer:

I do appreciate your effort thus far John.

jstinehelfer :

Yes I am on the East coast in Ohio here

Customer:

I need to get the girls to bed now...

Customer:

I have four

jstinehelfer :

So you can leave a message here even if I am not online I will get it

Customer:

2 year through to 11 years

Customer:

ok I will do

Customer:

tx John

Customer:

go well

jstinehelfer :

You to I will look for your message in the morning or later tonight

jstinehelfer :

Talk to you then.

Customer:

Ok. Brilliant !

Customer:

Tx John that did it.

jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
I am so glad that worked for you.

If you need my help in the future you can find me by going to
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john-stinehelfer/

Save it in your favorites for future use.
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist