Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

trying to change resolution on OS 10.8.3. Sys pref - display

Customer Question
trying to change resolution on...
trying to change resolution on OS 10.8.3. Sys pref - display - does not show choicesas posted on help boards.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
8/2/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Nick H., Mac Specialist replied 4 years ago
Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is Nick and I will help you today.

When you see Display, please select Scale option and select the solution desired. Then Close the window. See photo.

If this method did not work or you need more help, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

NICK As i said the choices don't show on the pane

Tom,

What do you see on Display? Any boxes or words?

Nothing -just the pic of the Mac - as on your reply

Thanks Tom.

Were you be able to change the resolution before? This could be an issue with display/video driver.

Please click on the Apple logo top left and select About this Mac. Select More Info. Under Display, do you see any info?
"Built-in iMac display"

2nd line - 27 in (2560 x 1440)

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB graphics
Thanks Tom.

Please try to do this reset. Then go back to Displays under System Preferences. See if there are options to change the resolution.

1. Shutdown your iMac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys. Your iMac will boot in normally.
  7. Go to System Preferences->Displays.
  8. See if you can change the resolution now.

If still not working, please run Software update under Apple logo. Reboot and check again.

If still not working, we will have to reinstall Mac OS.

When and where did you purchase your iMac?

Refurbished 27"iMac from Gainsaver last week Re started as directed and no change in display window nor choices

Tom,

That means there issues with the video/display driver. Did you run the Software Updates?

If there is no updates, CLICK HERE to download the zip file. Unzip and run the app. This app will let you change the resolution.

If still not working, you should contact your seller as this means there is an issue with the graphic board on your iMac. Ask them for a replacement iMac.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Nick H.
Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist