Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my microsoft word (and other MS applications that used to work)

is not opening on my...
my microsoft word (and other MS applications that used to work) is not opening on my mac. What should I do?
8/2/2013
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I need some information to assist you better.

What happens when you open them ?

Are you getting any errors ?

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

And what version of Office is this ? 2008 or 2011

Hi! When I click on the word icon, i have a window open titled "Microsoft word cannot be opened because of a problem". Problem details (let me know which one you need):

Process: Microsoft word.

path: ...

Identifier...

version...

build info...

code type...

parent processs: launchd [116]

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5

Report version: 9

Execption tyep: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

...

Dyld error message:

Symbol not found...

hello

Tell me the code type.

What version of Office is this ? Office 2011 ?

Code type: X86 (native)

microsoft office 2011

Thanks for the Info. Do you have the Office installation disc or installation file ?

I assume I should have an installation file. I don't have an office disc.

Did you downloaded it from Microsoft site ? Then you should have the installation file.

Also, you have the serial number for your Office 2011. Right ?

I did not download it, and don't have the serial number. I am a university professor, travelling abroad. All was installed by our IT department back home. This happened to me once before, and I think the IT guy solved the problem by somehow "updating" the programs.

The problem was that none of the applications just worked. I was able, for example, to update the adobe reader program, and it now works. I am not sure how to "update" the microsoft word, or the other microsoft applications.

Michelle, this usually happens if the Office is duplicated, moved or corrupted. We may need to reinstall the Office.

But before that, we can try some basic troubleshooting steps. On your Mac, goto Macintosh HD. Open Applications folder. Open Microsoft Office folder. Can you see Word, Excel or Power Point in there ? If so, open it and are you getting any errors ?

I am not sure how to go to the Macintosh HD.

I was able to click on my "Windows 7 Applications" folder at the bottom right on my screen, choose "applications" menu, there i see "microsoft officde 2011" menu, I click on that and a folder nemd "microsoft office 2011" opened. There, there are items for MS excell, outlook, powerpoint, word. When I click on word, I get the same error window I wrote about before.

Clicking on excel, I get a simlar problem window. Same "code type", i.e. X86 (Native).

Macintosh HD is your hard disk's name. It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc and all your files or folders are saved in the Macintosh HD. You can access it from desktop or in Finder window (in left column)

Open it and open Applications folder. Open it and can you see your Microsoft Office folder there ? See the picture below;
graphic

Sure. When I accessed it this way, I get the same response (problem window).

In Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office folder, can you see all the office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) in there ?

And do you see any duplicates of those office applications ?

I don't see any duplicates of office applications under the microsoft office 2011 folder.

Can you delete the Microsoft Office folder from the "Windows 7 Applications" folder and then open any office application from Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office ? (Don't empty the trash)

Let me know if you are still getting the error
Michelle, if you are still getting the error then we can apply the latest upate on it manually see if it works or not. Download and install the Office for Mac Update 14.3.6 Update from here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39634

If that didn't work, then we have to reinstall your Office completely. Download and install Office for Mac from here : http://mac.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=87747&t=0&i=1

It is a big file, so it will take a while to download.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician

Great, it worked! I first had to install the service pack 1 (the office update didn't update prior to me doing that), and then the office update, and now it all runs. Thanks!

Glad to hear that Michelle. If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to help you :)

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician