James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive. I want

I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive. I want to unplug it and take it to another home plug it in and play my music. I have tried unplugging it, taking it to a friend’s home but it does not work. I went into preferences and changed where iTunes looks for the music but that did not work. I read an something that said I need to add some coding and some files onto the directory where the files are located. Can I make my external music playable on any Windows machine?? Can you tell me what to do or log into my machine and make it happen???

You can't play an iTunes library from one computer on another computer. The libraries are uniquely coded for the compute that uses them.

It is easy, however, to take your music to another computer.
Simply create a new music folder on your external drive.
Then select all the songs you want in iTunes, and drag them onto the new folder.
This will copy all the music files to that folder.

Now take the external drive to any other computer with iTunes, and add the music from the external drive's music folder to the library (File--Add Folder).

This will import all the music from the music folder to the other computer.

The only downside is that you will need to do this every time you add new songs (for the new songs only, of course).

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and kindly rate me below.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I will try this fix this weekend when I go to the other computer. I'll text you next week.

Thanks

Sounds good - please take all the time you need, and let me know if you need any more help.

Kindly don't forget to rate me by clicking one of the faces under my answer.

Thanks!

J.