Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, I am having problems running my Virtual machine set up.

Customer Question
I need help! My objective is...
Hi, I am having problems running my Virtual machine set up. I need help!
My objective is to run a Virtualbox VM which has an android phone app mounted to it inside a parallels Virtual machine running windows7 on a mac mountain lion OS X.

Physical host = Mac Mountain Lion OS X >>Parallels Virtual Machine running Windows7 >>
Virtualbox with android app mounted to it inside parallels VM.

This setup has been confirmed to work, cause my friend is doing it with his computer. Only difference is he is using windows host and running VMWare instead of OSX+Parallels.

when I have the virtualbox running inside the parallels VM it runs ok for a few hours then it either crashes the windows VM or causes it to see a blue screen or just reboots. windows also displays a message sometimes saying it has closed the virtualbox cause it has detect an incompatibility and creates a WER2314.temp.hdmp file im assuming its a dump file report of the crash. there are too many variables with this and I don't know where to pinpoint the problem. I need help PLEASE!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
8/1/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, I will try to help. Firstly are you not better off running the android app inside a parallels VM? A VM within a VM is unusual.

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

well the thing is I need to run the virtual box machine because it is an opensource virtualizer. and basically it is being used to basicly mount an android phone to it. I don't think parallels can do that.

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

and I need to be able to run as many VMs as I can with this set up

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

The configuration is a must. it is what the set up my friend is using but he is on a windows host running VMWare with Virtualbox inside it

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

There are many variables here...I don't know if it's because of the incompatibility with OSX and the current set up

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

but my friend has his set up running...only difference is he is on a windows host and using VMWare

Daniel Whelan :

You can also get virtualbox for mac for free. That might make your life easier. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

searched the web thoroughly but can't find an answer.

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

I need to run about 20 of these VMs

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

I would like to use parallels if possible

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

there has got to be a way

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

hello??

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

is that your answer for me??

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

lol...

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

hello

Daniel Whelan :

still here, answering different questions also.

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

is there any kown issues with a mac running this set up? I know its really uncommon...but jsut hoping I can find more info

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

or wether you know if its not possible

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

been reading on oracle forums and they say something about VT-x which I dont think i have or disabling 3d accelerator which i have tried them all

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

funny thing is...one or two of my VMs with that set up hasn't experienced a crash yet and its been running for 3 days straight

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

so...there has to be a way

JACUSTOMER-3v31c3i0- :

called parallels guys and they confirmed that it IS possible but told me to contact oracle (Virtualbox) cuz its not heir product thats causing the problem

Daniel Whelan :

I'm going to opt out to see if another expert can help you. Good luck with it.

Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist