Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi. I am new to mac - converted from Windows - use iPhone

Hi. I am new...
Hi. I am new to mac - converted from Windows - use iPhone 5, iPad and now macbook air. I am using the IPhoto calendar creator and I am ready to print. I have previewed, saved to pdf and now I want to order the calendar but I am getting the following message when I press Buy Calendar - 'An error occurred while contacting the Apple Online Store. Please try again.' I have had a look at a lot of threads here but cannot get y head around it. I am in Australia, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
7/21/2013
Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you..our effort is to create satisfaction ...NO RATING ...till you are satisfied...if you need another expert please ask for the opt out option

ErnestAgyare :

have you tried resetting your apple id password

Customer:

Not resetting. Should I try that in the App Store?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

change your password XXXXX

Customer:

Sorry, should I just change the password?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

Customer:

OK. Changed the password XXXXX something else. Still get the same error message

ErnestAgyare :

what version iphoto are you using please

Customer:

9.4.2 (710.42)

ErnestAgyare :

also have you tried it while your machine is in safe mode

Customer:

No. Not sure how to do that

ErnestAgyare :

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 through Mac OS X v10.6.8, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

Customer:

OK. I will try that. How do I then reconnect with you?

ErnestAgyare :

the same way you initially signed ....before you do that ...lets try one thing also if thats ok with u

ErnestAgyare :

you

Customer:

Sure

ErnestAgyare :

its sounds complicated but please do not panic...I am here for assistance if you get stuck

Customer:

ok

ErnestAgyare :

please follow the instructions carefully....this is from my apple counterpart

Customer:

k

ErnestAgyare :

1. Delete the files /var/db/crls/crlcache.db and /var/db/crls/ocspcache.db. These can be found using Finder’s Go >; Go To Folder menu (Cmd + Shift + G). This resets the cache of accepted certificates in the system. It doesn’t remove them, it just forces the system to rebuild the caches upon restart.

2. Open Keychain Access (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access). Select Certificates in the Category picker on the left side. In the search bar, type in the word Class. Look through that list, and find any certificates that have a blue + symbol over their icon. These are the ones you need to modify.

3. Select one that has a blue +, and hit Command + I. Click the disclosure triangle beside the “Trust” list to show the list of permissions. Now, what we need to do is to set this certificate to use the system defaults. However, for some reason, when you select it, it doesn’t save. So what you need to do is this. Under “Trust”, where it says “Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)”, change the dropdown menu to say “No Value Specified”. Then, close the window. It will ask for your administrator permissions. Then, open the info pane for that certificate again. Under “Trust” again, now set the dropdown that says “When using this certificate:” to say “Use System Defaults”. You can then close out of the info pane, and enter your password XXXXX Do this for any of the certificates that have a blue + on their icon. There should only be one or two at most.

4. Restart your system.

ErnestAgyare :

finder is on the bottom all the way to the left of the iphoto icon

Customer:

OK I will give it a try. I am still not sure how to get back to you after rebooting though

ErnestAgyare :

also may i ask a questions

ErnestAgyare :

is your date and time on your computer accurate?

Customer:

files now deleted. Please feel free to ask

ErnestAgyare :

is your date and time accurate?

Customer:

Yes

ErnestAgyare :

it says todays day and the right time with year? im sorry just ruling out a few things

Customer:

Yes - all correct

ErnestAgyare :

if those files have been deleted please restart your computer and then try again

Customer:

Just getting to point 2 - certificates

ErnestAgyare :

ok

Customer:

OK - No blue + over any of the certificates

Customer:

shall I proceed and reboot anyway?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

Customer:

I have now got an ICloud error message appearing - Is this connected to the current problem?

ErnestAgyare :

no

ErnestAgyare :

two separate programs

Customer:

That was due to a change in password. OK, I will reboot but if you dont hear back from me within 10min, can you please email me. Also, will I be able to connect with you in safe mode?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

yes re enter new password XXXXX icloud

ErnestAgyare :

i will send you an email as soon as you restart

ErnestAgyare :

please click on the apple icon and do software update

Customer:

OK - In safe mode now

ErnestAgyare :

try it

Customer:

Same error message

Customer:

Shall I do the software update now?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

and when you got to time zone you are set to the right time zone?

ErnestAgyare :

1. From the Finder, in the Go menu, choose Utilities.

2. Open Keychain Access.

3. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

4. Click on the Certificates tab.

5. Choose Off under Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP)

6. Choose Off under Certificate Revocation List (CRL).

7. Restart your Mac.

Customer:

There are no software updates available

Customer:

Time zone is correct

ErnestAgyare :

after that i will give another expert a shot to see if he has any ideas....usually these steps dont work...we recommend contact apple to check your account setting ......but lets see if another expert has any idea

ErnestAgyare :

did you try this

ErnestAgyare :

2. Open Keychain Access.

4. Click on the Certificates tab.

7. Restart your Mac.

Customer:

OK - done. Shall I restart in Safe or Normal

ErnestAgyare :

normal

Customer:

OK. Be right back

ErnestAgyare :

ok

Customer:

Back on

ErnestAgyare :

ok

ErnestAgyare :

try it now please

Customer:

Same error

ErnestAgyare :

and you did the keychain reset ?

Customer:

By switching off the 2 certificate check boxes - yes

ErnestAgyare :

from the failure of these steps i think its an account issue corrected by apple....however as i stated your satisfaction is important to me so if you would like another expert i can provide that for you...i have been working alongside apple and we came up with those steps we provided

Customer:

Ill try anything to get this resolved

ErnestAgyare :

no problem which option would you like to exercise....contacting apple to re configure your account or another expert...i have apples information as well if you need it

Customer:

What would you recommend - Go to an apple store for assistance or through their help line?

ErnestAgyare :

i am scared to give my honest opinion of fear that you may feel im defering your issue....however i would recommend the apple store...this issue is not common and is quiet frequent...usually if those tips dont work then its an account issue solve within 15 mins of being at apple...

Customer:

I would prefer honesty. We have just had an apple store open in my home town so I will give them a call. I really appreciate your assistance so for though

ErnestAgyare :

i am sorry the tips could not work...BUT i guarantee the apple store will be your last stop and you issue will be fixed...i just hope the tips had worked...

Customer:

OK. Thanks very much

ErnestAgyare :

If for some reason you were dissatisfied with the tips giving and wish not to Rate me ...i totally understand..my concern is getting your iphoto and you account working properly

Customer:

We will get it sorted somehow. By the way, I am running my machine with a Windows Partition - would this make any difference?

ErnestAgyare :

no

ErnestAgyare :

you should be able to still get in you account

Customer:

OK. Thanks. XXXXX rate you now and sign off?

ErnestAgyare :

yes you may

Customer:

Thanks again

Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare