Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Help...cant open powerpoint I just worked on...went to finder...it

Customer Question
Help...can't open powerpoint I just...
Help...can't open powerpoint I just worked on...went to finder...it is there but still can't open it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
7/17/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Do you receive any errors or messages when attempting to open the file?

Yes can't open in powerpoint. I think it had something to do with my trying to save it to a memory stick. I would appreciate a call. Not sure that I know enough to answer your questions.

Beverly, I'm sorry but JustAnswer doesn't allow telephone calls. Everything must be done through the site for reasons of security.

Is the file currently stored on the flash dirve/memory stick?

No can't find it. Now it says it can't be located and mention alias

The alias (name of powerpoint) can't be found. do I want to delete or fix alias.....

Is the memory stick still in the Mac?

Also, were you trying to copy the file in Finder onto the memory stick or were you trying to save it there from within Power point?

memory stick out...tried to save from powerpoint. When I checked...it was not on the stick.

Getting late..need this presentation early in morning. will need to recreate if can't open. HELP

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

10.8.2

Thanks, Beverly.

In the extreme top right of the screen, on the menu bar, you should see a magnifying glass for Spotlight search. Click the magnifying glass and type in the name of your document. Does it appear in the search results?

Yes, it is there I can see the pictures in the slide show but when I try to open it it gives me the can't open error finder

Okay.

In the search result, hover your mouse over the file name so it shows the preview window.

Press and hold the Command on your keyboard and the file name should appear directly at the bottom of the preview window.

Move your mouse over that and in a second or two it should display the path where the file is located.

What does it say?

went to Beverlytyner...(folder) doc..powerpoint..name of document..it is there but still don't see how to open it

Beverly Tyner-Docs-powerpoint (this is the path)

Okay, if you go to that folder and right-click or Control-click on the document, what options are available under "Open With"?

The selected item does not show path. Again, I can see it in finder.

I see the memory stick under shared. I have reinserted to see if I can find it.

To clarify, you can or can not see it in Finder?

In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose "Home"

In the new window that appears, locate Docs or Documents and open it

Locate the Powerpoint folder and open it.

Do you see the file here?

After inserting the stick, in the finder it says that is is reading and downloading...should I let it continue? I do not see the Go menu in finder. Yes, i do see the video listed.

Where is it downloading to? If you have photos on this drive it may be loading them into iPhoto which would be fine.

The Go menu is in the menu bar at the very top of the screen when you are on the Desktop or a Finder window.

click the Go menu and choose "Home"

If you see the file here, right-click or Control-click on the document

What options are available under "Open With"?

options are open...open enclosing folder...get info..quick look. When I try to go...blank...can't find original.

If you choose Quick Look, what do you see?

shows the file but box is blank...like vacant.

Okay, if you chose Get Info, does it show a size listed?

...and does it have an entry for "Original"?

yes it shows the size as 52,083,712

Has select new original but cant open it

under that it has a box and locked but box not checked

I must get to bed soon. only have 3 hours to sleep.

Hmmm, what does it show for "Kind"?

We can continue this at another time if you wish.

I had been on the line for several hours without the assistance needed to fix my issues.

Hi Beverly.

If you've sent a message prior to now, I have not received it. The last message was received 07/17 at 2:59AM EDT.

Mike, Mac Medic