Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I dont know my password XXXXX cant download mountain lion as

I dont know my password...
I dont know my password XXXXX can`t download mountain lion as I already have paid for
7/14/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

It sounds like you are talking about the password XXXXX your Apple ID? If you've already paid for Mountain Lion, once you recover your password, you should be able to download it again free of charge.

You should be able to reset your password XXXXX the site: http://iforgot.apple.com/

* IF YOU FORGOT THE APPLE ID ITSELF: If you go to the above mentioned site you will see an option on the right side of the page labeled "Find your Apple ID". If you click this, it will ask for some rather simple information that you should know as the owner of the account ( first name, last name, current email address plus the ability to enter additional email addresses if it has changed since you created the Apple ID).

If you can't pull up your Apple ID using the info above BUT you currently have purchased music in iTunes on your computer then you may be able to see the ID; To view this information, simply select any purchased song in iTunes and press Command-I or choose "Get Info" from the File menu. Then in the Summary tab of the window that appears (this should be the default tab), you should see the name / Apple ID listed.

Once you have the Apple ID and have reset the password, test out that it is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:
https://appleid.apple.com/ (Click "Manage Your Apple ID")

If you have successfully reset your password XXXXX still can not log in, you may have another issue. In this case, you will have to contact Apple via their Express Lane customer service feature to ask them to investigate the reason for your disabled account:

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Choose the correct category and issue as prompted by the service above and you will eventually reach a web form where Apple promises to respond within 24 hours. If you need a suggestion for which support path to follow, try:
iTunes > iTunes Store > Account Management > Managing or editing iTunes Store Account > Email

As an alternative, if you do not wish to handle it online, you can try calling this number: 1-800-676-2775. Ask if they can verify you as the owner of the account for the purposes of resetting the password.

Please note: I can give advice and information only, not successful access to your account. The responsibility of reactivating your account lays entirely between you and Apple due to security reasons.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid

It is not my password to my apple id but it is the password for my log in to my mac book Pro that i have forgotten.

Ok in that case, what version of OS X is currently installed?

OS 10.7.5. and the tick box for allowing you to reset the password using your apple id is not ticked.

My name is Justine and I am assisting my mother in law whose first language is not english. When she got the computer, she hooked up her old windows vista computer and all the info was sucked across. I dont know if this is when the password was set, as we have tried all of her commonly used passwords.

Hi Justine.

The following should allow you to set a new password.

Shutdown your Mac

Restart

Then, press and hold the “Option” key as soon as you hear the startup chime.

When the boot menu appears, release the Option key and and select the “Recovery HD” disk in the boot menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear

Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar and select “Terminal”

Type the following at the prompt:

resetpassword

and press Return on the keyboard.

Confirm the user account and then the password change

Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login.

Hi John,

It Worked! Thank you very much.

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid