Mac

I am having constant problems with Powerpoint for Mac files…

I am having constant problems...
I am having constant problems with Powerpoint for Mac files freezing and locking up when I try to rename them, or modify them after saving/exporting under a new name.

The latest one shows error 43. It worked fine yesterday. I have renamed it, now it won't let me do anything, even move it to the... Read full answer

The latest one shows error 43. It worked fine yesterday. I have renamed it, now it won't let me do anything, even move it to the trash. Under 'Get info' it tells me it is 1 38.4 MB .pptx file, not locked. Under sharing and permissions it says: 'You have unknown access'.

What is happening please?
7/12/2013
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, In your filename don't use these characters. ? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : " , | *

Daniel Whelan :

Also do a repair permission on your hard drive. To do that go to applications-utilities-disk utility. Open disk utility and highlight your drive on the left hand side and click "repair disk permissions" (it may take 15-20 mins to complete). Hopefully one of those will solve your issue but if not let me know.

Customer:

Thank you. That worked - I am now able to open the file, rename it, and open it again.

Customer:

But can you explain a bit more about what the problem was and how to avoid it in future? I have had this kind of problem several times. Powerpoint for Mac does seem to behave in an unpredictable way when you make changes to files, especially renaming. Similar problems occur when I save files as .ppt (1997-2004) - I have learnt never to make changes once they are saved as .ppt, and have lost work on occasion.

Customer:

If you can help me understand and avoid these problems in future it will be £32 well spent!

Customer:

Thanks.

Daniel Whelan :

Great, I'm glad you are back to working. The file and folder name characters are generally allowed by Apple OS X but not allowed by Windows so some microsoft programs for mac get confused when they have them in their name because the programmers have not/could not allow for the differences between the two platforms. The permissions issue could affect any file/folder, it may occur because of another issue (such as file naming) or moving files into different folders which have different permissions that it may then take on (which you may or may not want) or they get corrupted for some other underlying reason and need repairing. Hope that helps explain it and if you need any other help in the future please let me know.

Customer:

Thanks. Just went for lunch. It seems to be a permissions issue rather than a filenames issue, so a last question: Is there any way to avoid Powerpoint permissions getting corrupted so easily? Is there a safe renaming procedure, for example? Or a safe procedure for saving a Powerpoint file with a different name - perhaps by saving it in a different folder?

Daniel Whelan :

The permissions should not change that often. Create a new folder and make sure you have full read/write permissions to the folder. Put a test ppt file in it and rename it a few times to see what happens to the file permissions (they should not change). Don't save in a folder or subfolder with any of the unusual characters in it.

Customer:

OK, many thanks. Very helpful.

Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
The iTunes Library Genius.itdb file is locked, on a locked
The iTunes Library Genius.itdb file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file. … read more
When I try to open .pptx files, I get the following message"
When I try to open .pptx files, I get the following message" PowerPoint cannot open files in the “Microsoft PowerPoint presentation” format." … read more
Im trying to re-size and image in Preview (Mac OS X), but
I'm trying to re-size and image in Preview (Mac OS X), but its not letting me save... any idea why? any workarounds?… read more
It Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
Is there to rename the .mov file in phone booth? it just saves
Is there to rename the .mov file in phone booth? it just saves as "Movie on 2013-4-19 at 19:04! When I am sending in a self-taped audition, that won't work! I need to have my name and the role I'm rea… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
I have recently moved home. My pictures are stored in time
I have recently moved home. My pictures are stored in time machine. Now that I am trying to access them the following message comes up The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not hav… read more
PowerPoint presentation 97-2004 hangs and will not open. Using
PowerPoint presentation 97-2004 hangs and will not open. Using pptx but saved it back because client had trouble opening newer version. Ideas? thanks, Melody… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a question about the Microsoft Powerpoint 2008 for Mac.
I have a question about the Microsoft Powerpoint 2008 for Mac. I renamed my powerpoint file I was working on and now I cannot access it. It says error -108 and also error -35 comes up. I followed your… read more
Mac Support Specialist,
Good morning David. The computer worked fairly well for the
Good morning David. The computer worked fairly well for the evening, then this morning it's back to freezing up. Getting the colored wheel thing again and having to wait excessively long between click… read more
Mac Support Specialist,
Hi I use office 2008 for mac . i had to uninstall the soft
Hi I use office 2008 for mac . i had to uninstall the soft ware and reinstall it back . When i reinstalled the soft ware . i have lost all my latest emails and addresss on Entourage. How can i retrive… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
When I open a doc in pptx that was created in ppt many pictures
When I open a doc in pptx that was created in ppt many pictures do not show up although if I click on where the photo is supposed an empty box appears. How do I get my photos to show up?… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Good evening. You recently solved a problem for me. I am
Good evening. You recently solved a problem for me. I am a new Mac user. I am having two problems which I believe are related. I can no longer export my bookmarks in html format in both Safari and Fir… read more
Mac Genius,
I have a ppt that will not open. I created it on a Mac, saved
I have a ppt that will not open. I created it on a Mac, saved it on the Mac, and now it won't open. The error I get is: PowerPoint cannot open the file Macintosh HD:Users::Documents::.pptx. The file m… read more
Danh
Danh
Stop searching for answers—
I recently installed Leopard on my POwerPC G5. I am running
I recently installed Leopard on my POwerPC G5. I am running out of space on my hard drive, so I burned the archived OS 9 to disk. Can I now trash it?… read more
Mac Genius,
I have some pictures that I imported to this computer, a mac
I have some pictures that I imported to this computer, a mac mini with snow leopard. I want to work on these pictures, but the files are locked. I cannot unlock them. I would like to unlock the whole … read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Hi i am unable to get iMovie to encode my project--I choose
Hi i am unable to get iMovie to encode my project--I choose SHARE from the menu, click on iDVD and it begins to process but ALWAYS stops at 43 minutes...... same with SHARE to MEDIA BROWSE--freeZe up … read more
iMovie Problem ... Sirs ... I have a MacBook. whenever
iMovie Problem ... Sirs ... I have a MacBook. whenever I edit a movie in iMovie and send it to my desktop or try to share it or upload it to You Tube, etc., I always get it in AUDIO only with no video… read more
I created a project in imovie on my MacBook computer and shared
I created a project in imovie on my MacBook computer and "shared" it with my media browser. Now I can't find the original editing window with that project in it. The editing was not finished and I'd l… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
I have a locked powerpoint presentation on my mac that I want
I have a locked powerpoint presentation on my mac that I want to delete... it's a read only file but it wont delete, just messes up the trash function. How do I ge rid of it?… read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer