Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a MacBook Pro.... EXTREMELY SLOW, any suggestions?

Customer Question
I have a MacBook Pro......
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/8/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Version 10.8.4

Thanks, Lorie. Please try the following;

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator (Alternative: press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu). If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

See if you speed issue is resolved.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Oh boy, how am I going to remember all that? Can you do it for me?

I wish I could!

Register Here

You may wish to print it out or send it to your smartphone if you have one? I can not offer remote support and it would not work in this case since the Mac must be restarted.

There should be a "Share" button on the top right of this page that will allow you to Print the discussion.
John T. F., Mac Druid