Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I store my iPhoto Library on an external hard drive.

Customer Question

I am currently receiving the following error: "Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable"

I have tried restarting my computer but get the same error.

The other recommendation is to rebuild iPhoto - however there are multiple options: Repair Permissions, Rebuild Thumbnails, Repair Database, and Rebuild Database. I am not sure which option I am supposed to choose.

I have thousands of pictures and don't want to risk loosing them. The options recommend backing up your pictures before choosing one of these options. My form of backup before this happened was having them on the external hard drive - I have copied the "corrupted" iPhoto file but am not sure if this is sufficient so as not to loose my pictures.

Please please help!! :(
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is fine - the copy of my library that I made is still in progress though - is that okay?

Yes.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=f2c548c6-ed64-4de8-9fe3-620ff5207bce

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot join the session because the application is from an "unidentified developer"

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

284-305-321

Thank you.

Thank you.

If you have any further issues, please, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason - that finished and the same error came back up...

Thank you for the update.

Once the files that you are copying finishes, please, let me know and I can remote back in.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason - the files have finished copying. Can we get back in the sharing session to fix the problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason -

Are you still working tonight? I would like to get this resolved ASAP and will not be back again at my computer until this time tomorrow.

If you are not working can you pass my issue on to someone who is?

Thanks,

Maggie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need someone who is online to help me.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Quit iPhoto, then hold down the Command and Option keys while starting iPhoto. A dialog appears asking if you’re sure you want to rebuild your library and giving you several options for doing so. Select all check boxes and click on rebuild button. Wait a little to complete the Rebuild process. Check the result.

If it not helps, trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Username/Library/ Caches folder. Then trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/Your username / library / preferences folder. Launch iPhoto. Check and reply me the result.

Note: Library folder may hidden. Please unhide it by following these steps.

Regards
Jins

Thank you for the update.

We have already tried rebuilding the library and all of that.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason,

I will not be home again at my personal computer until 8:30 pm ET Tonight.

Thanks,

Maggie.

download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Try and let me know the details.

Regards
Jins

Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jason -

I had to stay late and work and didnt get a chance to work with you on this which is why I wanted to solve the problem on Sunday. The iPhoto Manger also did not work and thus I am going to have to have someone take it to the Apple Store.

Please do not charge my credit card as I will have to dispute the charge since the question was not answered in a timely fashion.

Regards,

Maggie

I never said the iPhoto Manager would work. That was another person that jumped into the question. I apologize for the confusion.

If you would allow, I can remote in right now and fix it for you.

- Jason
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not at home with my personal computer. I will not be home except to sleep this week until the weekend and I need access to my photos before then. This service no longer meets my timeline.

Thank you,

Maggie

Thank you.