Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I need to use Windows programs & files on my Mac.

I need to use Windows...

I need to use Windows programs & files on my Mac. I installed Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition & migrated the Acer Iconia programs/files. It looks like the virtual machine is about 30GB (same size as the Acer Iconia HD). Can that size be increased?

I have a problem opening Microsoft Outlook because it is looking for a PST file that is no longer at that location. Can I reinstall Microsoft Office into the virtual machine on the Mac?

My equipment includes: Apple MacBook Pro MC976LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display with 2.6 GHz Processor / 512 GB Storage.

Acer Iconia Tablet with about 30GB hard drive HP Windows computer seems to have problems starting some times. Several external USBs - 1TB, 750MB, etc Software Priorities Microsoft Office 2007 Outlook - my PST grew to 15GB Microsoft Office - Word, Excel etc Quicken 2011

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2013
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, Here is a guide to increasing the size of the virtual machine. http://kb.parallels.com/en/113972

Daniel Whelan :

I cant think of any technical issue why you cant install office (and import the PST) onto the virtual machine but I don't know what the microsoft licence allows.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

The link is helpful but I was not able to do all the steps. It mentioned the HD might have errors or Windows could be corrupted, I don't remember which. I am trying to work through the steps.

Customer:

Please try to start the virtual machine and check the file system for errors. Or you can resize the hard disk without resizing the file system and then resize it using the tools of the guest operating system.

Customer:

Unable to resize this hard disk. Its file system might be corrupted. Please try to start the virtual machine and check the file system for errors. Or you can resize the hard disk without resizing the file system and then resize it using the tools of the guest operating system.

Customer:

Hi Daniel, I am new to JustAnswer.

Customer:

I am not sure if I am supposed to accept your answer now because it provided information to address my initial question. Unfortunately I am not able to follow the steps in the link and suddenly there seem to be a lot of problems with Windows even though there wasn't a problem earlier. I am going to try to migrate a second Windows machine to the Mac hoping that might help. I hope I will be able to ask you another question after I accept this now.

Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

I was not able to migrate the other PC because there wasn't enough room on the Mac since the other PC's hard drive was so large.

Can I just load software programs directly to the Mac using Parellels?

Or do I need to purchase Windows for the Mac?

Hi, You need to also purchase Windows, the Parallels program does not come with a version of windows.

Which version of Windows do you suggest I buy?

From the App store on Mac?

Did I need Parallels to be able to use Windows on Mac if I am buying a new version of Windows?

And would this new version of Windows be in addition to the Windows I migrated from the Acer Iconia.

Thanks

If you have managed to migrate the old version of windows from the acer and it is working then you don't need another copy. If you have an copy of windows with the code from the acer iconia you could just install that copy.
If you want to buy windows again I would suggest windows 8 pro but it depends on your needs. There is a comparison here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
You can buy it online from microsoft or from a shop or an online store. Multiple buying options.
You don't need Parallels to run windows BUT if you use apple boot camp you need to start in either windows or mac. With Parallels it is like having both open at the same time which can be very handy.
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist