Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello, I am running a macbook pro with Lion 10.7.5, and several

Customer Question
years ago I bought a...
Hello, I am running a macbook pro with Lion 10.7.5, and several years ago I bought a maxtor onetouch 4 plus to store my old school files. I used to be able to use this drive with ease on my old macbook, but since my upgrade a year and a half ago, I have not been able to get access my maxtor drive—my computer simple doesn't display the drive.
Seagate, who now owns Maxtor, has been no help. All of their links leading to support for this device are broken, and the only advice I've gotten is to reformat the drive. This is simply not an option. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!
Annie
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
7/6/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 years ago
Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer

ErnestAgyare :

yes unfortunately is had to be formated to a fat32

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

you mean there's no way to save my data?

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

won't formatting erase what's on there?

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

this will not do. I don't think this qualifies as help. very sorry.

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

I need a way to access my data that's stored. if you can provide a way to do that, I'll fulfill the deposit.

ErnestAgyare :

you can save you date

ErnestAgyare :

data

ErnestAgyare :

why are you rating me when i have not finished assisting ...

ErnestAgyare :

please dont rate me until i have had a chance to completely help

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

I apologize, I thought that was your final answer.

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

how can I save the data?

ErnestAgyare :

you will have to hook it up to a pc first since it will read there and back it up

ErnestAgyare :

in order for it to work with the new macs it must be formated

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

ok. I have vmware open. I run a virtual PC.

ErnestAgyare :

i am not sure if you can read that hard drive through a virtual pc

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

hmmm, it's not showing up anywhere. Is there anywhere specific I should look?

ErnestAgyare :

it has to be physically hooked up to an ACTUAL pc

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

ok. That's my only other option though...

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

I don't have access to a regular one

ErnestAgyare :

yes....the new operating systems only ready external hard drive that is not formated

ErnestAgyare :

so you will need to do a backup on the hard drive and format it ...that is the only way ...i have the same hard drive you have

ErnestAgyare :

please let me know know if you need further assistance BEFORE RATING

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

yes I do. I don't have access to a regular PC. What else can I do?

ErnestAgyare :

you have to find someone with a pc...that hard drive will be read by a pc with no problm

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

still trying to find someone with a PC. It may take some time :(

JACUSTOMER-hyulmdpp- :

I'll be back later

ErnestAgyare :

i will be here

Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare