Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

hi my screen is coming argyle or checkered, I have already

Customer Question

hi my screen is coming argyle or checkered, I have already tried these three ways... Can anyone else help. It's a 2006 Mac book pro running lion
Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
Shut down your Mac
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode (Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 4 years ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello i am here to assist

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Hello
JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Are you able to help me?
ErnestAgyare :

can you please explain exactly what is going on is it a screen issue?

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Well i can only boot up in safe mode, and even in safe mode I get a checkered screen on my desk top
JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Really I would like to clear my Mac... I have already saved everything I need
ErnestAgyare :

so you want to restart you mac in manufacterer settins as iff you just bought it ? im a correct?

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Well I upgraded my os through iTunes, I would not like to lose that
JACUSTOMER-043advml- : I would really like to get rid of the checkered screen... So what ever I would have to do
ErnestAgyare :

im confused when you say a checked screen

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Well i can see my desktop wall paper but it have grey checkered spots in front of it
ErnestAgyare :

ok give me one minute

ErnestAgyare :

this came up after you upgrade to which version

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : And that's in safe mode... If I boot up normally it is a grey screen
JACUSTOMER-043advml- : It came up just randomly, I think it was my external hard drive that caused it
JACUSTOMER-043advml- : I have had Mac os lion for about a year
ErnestAgyare :

ok give me a secon pls

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Ok
ErnestAgyare :

do you want to use your time machine

ErnestAgyare :

to reset your system

ErnestAgyare :

i am going to send you a link on how to rest your os

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Is that what I have to do to get rid of this I will
ErnestAgyare :

The next step would be to reinstall the operating system but booting to the Recovery Disk and reinstalling Lion to resolve the issue. The article below will assist with that process.

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Ok
ErnestAgyare :

i will send the article momentarily

ErnestAgyare :

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

ErnestAgyare :

see if this helps i am still looking further for you and will not rest till you isssue is resolved

JACUSTOMER-043advml- : Ok
ErnestAgyare :

is that helpful?

ErnestAgyare :

please let me know if you require further assistance. My purpose is to help you until your problem has been solved. I thank you in advance for rating me as that is how i get credit for assisting you