Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Hello, I have an I-MAC and all that I can get is the gray screen

Hello, I have an I-MAC and all that I can get is the gray screen on start up with the apple logo and the spinning wheel. I have tried holding command + alt+ P + R, just holding shift and holding command + R at start up with no luck. Can you help me?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

How old is the iMac? Do you know what model, or spec it is?

Are you using a USB or BlueTooth keyboard?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The MAC is from 2008 and is using the Mac OS version 10.5.4/ AHT version 3A152/Disc version 1.1. The keyboard is connected by USB.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Did not respond or help me with my question

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait thirty seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait ten seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same problem, only gray screen and apple logo with spinning circle under it.
Okay, then please try to safeboot the mac. To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did exactly as you requested and the apple logo came up but the progress indicator never did. I held the shift key down for more than five minutes.
Okay, do you have the Mac OS X Install disk or Apple Software Restore disc ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do
Nice, then please use Disk Utility to Repair Disk and the Repair Disk Permissions. It will fix the issue. Check this tutorial to see how to use disk utility for these functions.

Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This program is to repair the disc, why would this be helpful? I tried to repair the disc and the response that I received is that the disc could not be unmounted
Sometimes a disk error or permission related error will cause file corruption. In such a case mac will become unstable. If you can't perform repair disk try to perform repair disk permission and check the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ran repair disc permission and it said that it is now repairing permissions but it will take some time, what do I do after this is completed.
Yea, depending the size of your hard disk it will take time to repair permission. After the process completed, restart your system and try to boot normally. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It took two days to repair permission but it completed but there is no change when I try to reboot the computer it still comes up with gray screen and spinning progress indicator and nothing else.
It sounds like the problem is some more complicated. Please remove any devices like printers and external disks from the system. You only need to connect Keyboard, Mouse and Display. Then power off the system, wait for 15 seconds. Power on the system and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You get the start up tone and then the apple logo and then the progress indicator and then after about one minute the computer shuts down and repeats this same cycle over and over again
Okay, then you need to re-install mac osx. Your files and settings will not be touched as long as you don't specifically tell the installer to erase them. Follow below steps to re-install osx.

1. Insert your Mac OS X Install DVD or Installation Disc 1.
2. Restart the computer and hold down the letter "C" as the computer starts up.
3. Continue to hold down the letter "C" until you see a grey screen with an Apple and a small spinning gear.
4. Select your language on the Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer screen and click "Continue".
5. Click "Continue" on the following screen.
6. After reading the Software License Agreement, click "Agree".
7. Select the volume to which you are going to install. "Macintosh HD" is the default name.
8. Click the "Options" button in the bottom corner of the window and select your installation type.
9. Click "OK" and then "Continue". You will be presented with a confirmation window at which point you can click "Install" to proceed.

I hope re-install will fix the issue. Try and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps