James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I store my digital music collection copied from CDs on a laptop.

I store my digital music collection copied from CDs on a laptop. I was able to sync my ipod, but now when I attempt to add new CD's to my collection. They store in the itunes library, but I can no longer add just the new items. The ipod appears to be attemping to store the entire library again and says I do not have the capacity to store the additional data. How do I sync the ipod to pickup only new titles without duplicating what it already has?

Do you know how big your entire library is?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

25.9 G

And what is the storage size on the iPod?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

32 G

Ok - that makes sense.
Your ipod's actual storage is less than that, because it uses some for the operating system, and other things.

On iTunes, you will see that there is a checkbox to the left of the songs, playlists, etc.
Uncheck the ones you don't want on the iPod.
Check the ones you do want, and then sync.

Note that your entire library will NOT fit on the iPod. You can probably store around 28GB of music on it.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I remove what's currently recorded on the ipod to sync with only the items I wish to carry on it? And will I have to do this each time I change my music preference?

You go to iTunes, and deselect (uncheck) the songs, artists or playlists - this will remove them from the iPod on the next sync.

Many thanks,

James.