Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a problem with my Ipad; can you help me?

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. What issues are you having with your iPad?

Customer:

The email function is gone.

Appleologist :

Are you referring to the actual mail application (The envelope icon) Or your email address settings?

Customer:

I can use the email, but it does not get any email from the network.

Appleologist :

Thanks for clarifying that. What error message are you getting? At the bottom what the last time you received an email?

Customer:

I just turn the email application on, and it indicate that there are 20 new emails, it proceeds to load these. Nothing shows up.

Customer:

I do not get any error messages at all.

Appleologist :

Ok. Click on the arrow in the upper left corner until you reach the Mailboxes page

Customer:

I did that.

Appleologist :

Is there a bubble with a number of new emails there?

Customer:

It says "Inbox (37).

Appleologist :

But you are saying you do not know where those new emails are? Is that correct?

Customer:

These 37 indicates the emails that I managed to get into the inbox on or before 6/22/13.

Appleologist :

Can you send an email to yourself and see if you receive it

Customer:

These emails that were to be brought in are nowhaere to be found.

Customer:

I have just tried it and it went thorugh the motion of inputting 22 messages, but none is really there.

Appleologist :

Click on the inbox with 37 new emails. If you scroll down, you will see a blue dot next to new emails. Keep scrolling down until you see blue dots

Customer:

I don't think I am doing a good job in telling you that no new messages are being loaded into the inbox.

Customer:

The last two lines are:

Appleologist :

Ok so then you are actually not even receiving new mail?

Customer:

Load More Messages ...

Customer:

56 messages total, 37 unread.

Appleologist :

Lets check your settings. Click on Settings and then choose Mail,Contacts, Calandars

Appleologist :

Calendars

Customer:

That is essential correct. I am told that I have new mails, but none can be loaded into the iPad.

Appleologist :

When you click on Mail,Contacts, Calendars. Under mail, do you see Show?

Customer:

I got to Mail, Contacts and Calendars. toched it and nothing happens.

Appleologist :

Is it highlighted in Blue?

Customer:

Now I see on the right: Show 50 recent messages

Appleologist :

Ok, change it to 1,000 Recent messages

Customer:

The largest I have here is 200 recent Messages.

Customer:

Please note that I have the original iPad.

Appleologist :

Ok so go ahead and change it to 200 recent messages

Customer:

I did, nothing happens.

Appleologist :

Nothing is suppose to happen except a check mark next to 200. It should also no longer say 50

Appleologist :

recent messages

Customer:

That is correct.

Appleologist :

Now right under Show is preview. It should read 2 lines.

Customer:

Correct.

Appleologist :

Lastly, confirm that ask organize by thread is turned on

Customer:

yes.

Appleologist :

Now go ahead and go back to the mail applications. It should now load your emails

Customer:

Of course I defer to your expertise But I see that my iPad no longer can fetch incoming messages into the Inbox.

Appleologist :

What email provider are you using?

Customer:

Comcast. It worked fine on the iPad and it still works well with my PC.

Appleologist :

Click on settings again and then choose Wifi. Is there a check mark next to your network?

Customer:

I did that

Appleologist :

Is there a check mark next to your network ?

Customer:

There is a check mark. Every indication is that it knows there are messages, but it just can't get them over

Appleologist :

What may be your issue is that you only have options of showing 200 recent messages. If your new messages start at the 220th message then it will not show. On your PC can you view all your emails

Appleologist :

Are there any new e-mails on your PC?

Customer:

Should I bring it to someone who can look at it? Or should I buy a new one?

Appleologist :

I don't think you need a new one. I think your issue is where your new emails are.

Customer:

Yes, I read them nicely. What bothers me is that I have to read them with my PC.

Appleologist :

If you read an email on your PC, does it update your ipad or will you still need to mark the same email as unread?

Customer:

My PC acts as if the iPad does not exist.

Appleologist :

Another option you have is to delete your comcast account from your iPad and then re-enter it. Do you know the password?

Customer:

Yes. But I think that the iPad knows there are messages and goes thorugh the motion of getting them into Inbox. The critical part is it cannot bring it over.

Appleologist :

Send an email to yourself from your PC

Customer:

Is there such a thing as to "update" what I have in my iPad with NEW apps?

Customer:

OK. I will do that.

Appleologist :

Depending on the version of iPad that you have, there may be an update. Go to settings and choose General and then choose About. What does it say under version number?

Customer:

4.2.1 (8C148)

Appleologist :

Yes you are behind on your update. You should be on 5.0

Customer:

By the way, I did send a test to myself.

Appleologist :

However, I dont think the update is relevant to your issue. Did the email come up?

Customer:

OK. Is there anything that I can do to rectify the situation?

Appleologist :

Did the email show up on either your PC or your iPad?

Customer:

The test email does not show, even though the iPad goes through the motion to being in more emails.

Appleologist :

Does it show up on your PC?

Customer:

The test email shows on my PC.

Appleologist :

On your iPad. What is the date on the first email that shows up

Customer:

I presume you mean the top one: 9:22 am today, but the next one is 6/22/13

Appleologist :

Yes that is what I mean. Lets reset your iPad. This will not delete any data. Click on settings Choose General and then choose Reset. Choose Reset all settings

Customer:

I just did what you directed.

Appleologist :

You should see and apple logo. When it boots back up. Open your mail application again. Click on the half arrow in the bottom left corner

Customer:

It came back. The mail icon still has 37 there.

Appleologist :

I am sure the mails are there. It will not show 37 if it were not. Open the mail app and Click on the half arrow in the bottom left corner

Customer:

It got the mails, including the test message.

Appleologist :

Ok good! Now all you need to do is to scroll through each on and mark them as read since you are a little behind

Appleologist :

The ones with a blue dot infront are your new emails

Customer:

It seems to have been working now.

Appleologist :

Great to know. Was there anything els I can assist you with?

Customer:

No. I am not sure how long this will last.

Customer:

How do I get the Version 5.0?

Appleologist :

You will need to plug your ipad Into your computer running iTunes. It will automatically prompt you

Customer:

The told me the same thing this morning in the store, but I tried and getting nowhere.

Appleologist :

Open iTunes on your computer. Let me know when you have it open

Customer:

OK. I will do so.

Customer:

I loaded iTunes this morning and cannot find it now.

Appleologist :

Click on the Start button and choose programs

Customer:

That is where I cannot find it.

Appleologist :

Do you see a search button? Type in itunes

Customer:

I am in the process of installing it.

Appleologist :

When it opens, connect your ipad to your computer

Customer:

OK, it has been install3ed.

Appleologist :

now open it

Customer:

I have connected the iPad to the PC.

Appleologist :

Is itunes open

Customer:

yes. They asked if I wanted the update and I siad yes.

Customer:

I think the update is being loaded.

Appleologist :

Ok good. You are pretty much all set from here. The update should take about 45 mins. It has to download first and then install. You will see an apple logo with a progress bar underneath. Also, if your email is having issues downloading normally. Press the half arrow button in the bottom left corner like we did earlier.

Appleologist :

Have a great night. Let me know if you need any additional assistance

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician