Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am currently using a desktop with a 10.5.8 version processor

I am currently using a desktop with a 10.5.8 version
processor 2.66 GHx Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I am having a lot of incompatibilities due to fact I have not upgraded.

What upgrade can this computer support-
do I need to do in stages- looks a little complicated...
Can I make an appointment at Apple Genius Bar locally- or is there another way I can get some support to do this.
many thanks

Laurel
Hi Laurel, My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Good News ! Your Mac can handle the latest Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

To install Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, you need to have the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed on your Mac. So first, buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail Discs and upgrade your Mac to 10.6 Snow Leopard from 10.5.8 Leopard. Upgrading is easy, just put the discs to your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade.

You can't download 10.6 from Internet, so you need to buy 10.6 Snow Leopard as discs to upgrade.

You can buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail discs from eBay.com, Amazon.com etc or from Apple. See here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

After installing Snow Leopard, do all Software Updates from Apple > Software Updates and then you can buy 10.8 Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard's AppStore application as digital download. (There is a AppStore application where you can buy applications directly from your Mac itself as digital download)

You can directly install 10.8 from 10.6.8 without going through 10.7

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you Ashik

What effect will initial and later upgrade have on materials I have housed on my computer?

Laurel some older applications like Office 2004, Quicken (old version) or other applications that designed for older version of Mac OS X won't work on 10.6 or later version. Apple have removed support for olders applications (PPC Architecture) in 10.6 and later version of Mac OS X. So you will have to upgrade those applications to latest versions too. For eg, If you have Office 2004, you will have to upgrade it to Office 2011. See this AppCompatibility page : http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

I'd recommend to upgrade to latest version of Mac OS X if possible since Apple is no longer updating the older OS X. So for proper security and new features, you should upgrade to latest OS X.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you- that is all good to know, but I am also talking about saved documents ( in Word, or in my emails) Will these be in any jeopardy.

I do have an external drive backup - but just asking about the overall ongoing availability of stored files- any risks

Don't worry Laurel. Upgrading will only replace the system files and won't touch any of your files or documents. Even installed applications will not be deleted when you upgrade. But it'd be better to backup your files before upgrading. So if anything goes wrong like power outage or anything unusual, you will have the backup to recover them. I'd recommend to backup before upgrading the OS X.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your help just ordered the first phase of Snow Leopard Discs

Great ! Now add a bookmark of this page, so if you need any help with upgrading you can get back to me any time you want without paying again.

Have a great day Laurel,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

excellent.... did not know this- will be good as I do upgrade this weeek

again thanks

You're most welcome Laurel :)