Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Importing from Nikon P6000 to iPhoto

All the photos I imported...

All the photos I imported with iPhoto from my Nikon P6000 are now missing in iPhoto. iPhone pics still there.

When I try to import from p6000 again, it won't work because iPhoto thinks it already has the pics.  Can't find them anywhere though.

Have also restarted iPhoto and rebooted mac.

Macbook pro 17".  OSX 10.8.4

6/29/2013
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, Try rebuilding the iphoto library. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

Customer:

Will try

Daniel Whelan :

OK, I'll check in again in the morning (it's 11:35pm here)

Customer:

Daniel, still having the same issue. Can't find the photos, but it seems they are there somewhere because it warns me of duplicates if I try to load them again. No problem with the photos that are still on the camera, but those that got taken off the camera are unrecoverable so far in iPhoto. These are very important photos we took on our Mediterranian cruise

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

You said some pictures showing and some not showing. If so it is a file missing or permission related issue. So try to locate the image or resolve the issue by following the steps below.

Part I: Locating the image

In this first series of steps, you can skip to Part II, below, as soon as you successfully locate the file.

1. Select the image's thumbnail in Album or Library view.
  2. Control-click or right-click the photo, and choose Show File from the shortcut menu. If successful, the photo's master file will appear in a Finder window.
  3. If you locate the file this way, try opening it in Preview to be sure that it's a readable and complete image.
  4. If the Finder does not display the desired photo, or if you can't choose Show File from the shortcut menu, try searching for the file using Spotlight the Find command in the Finder (File > Find).
  5. If that didn't locate the photo, try choosing Show Original File or Revert To Original from the shortcut menu (as in step 2). What this does: If you previously edited the image in iPhoto, this might succeed in reverting to a pre-edited copy.
  6. If you still can't locate the photo, you should stop here and reimport the image from your backup location or media. If you can't import the file let me know the exact error message you are getting.

Part II: Finding and resolving permissions issues

1. Once you locate the photo file, select it in the Finder.
  2. From the File menu, choose Get Info.
  3. In Info window that appears, click the disclosure triangle near the bottom to reveal Ownership & Permissions.
  4. Make sure that you have Read or Read & Write access to this file. If necessary, change this using the menus.
  5. Close the Info window.
  6. Try to view the photo again in iPhoto.
  7. If the photo still does not appear in iPhoto, try reimporting the file by dragging its file icon from the Finder onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock.

Preventing this issue in the future

To keep this from happening again, avoid renaming, moving, or deleting items in the iPhoto Library folder.

Regards
Jins

Jins, it looks like this fix doesn't apply to my actual situation. I do not see thumbnails for the pics I'm missing. I'm missing several hundred pics (and their thumbnails) from an upload from my Nikon P6000; all of the pics from that upload are missing. They were there immediately after uploading them, existing in the "Last Import" folder. However, I think they disappeared when I uploaded more pics from my iPhone. I would have expected them to be in the "Last 12 months" folder at that time, but no. I had the same thing happen with the next batch of pics from the P6000. Those are still on the camera, however. When I try to upload them again, I get a notice that they are duplicate pics. Even though iPhoto tells me they're duplicate, they don't exist in any of the folders.

Not to complicate the matter, but many of the most recent pics in the "Last 12 Months" folder do not appear in "Event" or "Photos" folders.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

thanks, rex

Okay, please look in iPhoto ~> Preferences ~> Events and see that you have "Show Event photos" selected in "Double-Click Event"

Regards
Jins

It is selected.

And has been selected all along.

This is iPhoto 09 version 8.1.2 (424)

Okay, Quit iPhoto, then hold down the Command and Option keys while starting iPhoto. A dialog appears asking if you’re sure you want to rebuild your library and giving you several options for doing so. Select all check boxes and click on rebuild button. Wait a little to complete the Rebuild process. Check and reply me the result.

Regards
Jins

Jin, I've already done that as per request from Daniel. No success; same mix of pics.

Okay, Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Username/Library/ Caches folder. Then trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/Your username / library / preferences folder. Launch iPhoto and check the result. If the images not there, once again try to import it from the camera.

If it not helps, Please search your internal and external drives for the image files you lost. You can download and run Find Any File or EasyFind to easily search your files. After finding those images, you can create a new album with those images.

Try and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

I don't see anything in the finder that starts with HD. If this is in a shell environment, I'm not up on that. Is there a shell app that I should be using for this?

HD means your Hard Disk. Refer the following Image. There you can see two user folder Named Manjeet and Switchtoamac and one shared folder.

Regards
Jins

In /Macintosh HD/Library/Caches, there's no com.apple.iPhoto file.

Following the path /Macintosh HD/users/rexsmith/... there's no library folder.

Same story with preferences folder. File not there.

Library folder may hidden. Please unhide it by following these steps.

regards
Jins

Out of time today. I will have to resume tomorrow morning. I'll let you know tomorrow as soon as I try this.

If you reply one more time, I'll be able to see the thread again. Sometime, the web page doesn't let me see the thread after I reply.

thanks, rex

Okay Rex, Take your own time and let me know the result. First try deleting the cache and pref files. If it not helps, then try to locate those images on your hard disk with the tools O suggested. Then let me know the details.

Regards
Jins

OK, i did go through process of deleting the folder and the file. Same result. The pics that are lost are no longer on the camera. That's my big issue.

BTW, the photos and events folders still didn't update with the latest photos in the last 12 months folder.

I'll be back online tomorrow.

rex

Okay Rex, See you tomorrow. First please try to locate those images on your hard disk with the tools I suggested.

Then, download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Try and let me know the details.

Regards
Jins

Well, I thought we had it. The photos do exist in the library as evidenced by the search. I ran the library rebuild and was encouraged because as I was watching the progress of it, I could see the lost photos being imported. After that completed, I opened iPhoto using the rebuilt file with same results as before. Pics not viewable and Photo and Event folders not populated with latest info. I think we're getting there though.

rex

Hi Rex, It sounds like you didn't lost your images. Please try the following.

1. Press Command-F or choose File > Find and search for the filename of a photo in your iPhoto library.
  2. Select the image in the results list to see the path to the iPhoto library at the bottom of the Finder window. Make a note of the file path to find the library again later.
    Note: The path will appear at the bottom of your screen if you have chosen Show Path Bar from the View menu in Finder.
  3. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard while you open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you see this prompt, which asks you to choose or create a photo library:
  4. Click "Choose Library..." and navigate to the location you found and noted in step 2.
  5. Select the iPhoto library to point iPhoto to it.
  6. Open iPhoto to confirm your images are appearing as expected.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Jin, all is well. After I sent you the last response, it occurred to me that the dates on the pics I found with the find application were 2012 instead of 2013. Then a lightbulb went off. Checked the camera and sure enough, the date in the camera was set a year too early. Checked back a year in iphoto and the pics were there. I changed the event dates and now all the pics are showing up in the right place.

User error for sure, but your guidance led me to the epiphany. Excellent service from you. I was going to tell you before this, but the web page wouldn't let me say anymore until you replied. I think something needs to be done about that.

In fact, I think you're going to have to reply to this before I'll be able to give you a most excellent rating.

thanks much!

rex

Hi Rex, Happy to hear you got back the photos. I was sure about that those pictures are there on your iPhoto library. Because you said it rejected the new import. But I got little confused when you said that iphoto library manager app shows your photos names but you didn't get the photos after the rebuild.

Anyway you followed my instructions correctly and you have a techie mind also. That's why you got that lightbulb.

The email you are getting from us is only a notification of expert reply. Anytime you can view this thread by visiting our site and login with your username and password. There you can see a link named My Questions. By clicking on it you can see every questions you asked in Pearl/Justanswer. By clicking on the question link you can see the full conversation and can post a reply if needed.

Once again thank you very much for your appreciative words. Now please give Excellent rating on my answer. A good bonus will make me more happy.

. Remember us, when you need any assistance again. Your business is very valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/ Now let me file this question as closed.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer