Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I bought an AV Adapter for my ipad and I am trying to use it

I bought an AV Adapter for my ipad and I am trying to use it to watch movies on my TV, but when I connect it to the TV the ipad pops up a message that says "this accessory is not supported by ipad" What do I need to do to make it work?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Do you have a link, or a part/model number to the AV adaptor that you purchased, as there are many out there that do not work?

Also, what is the model number off of the back of your TV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Part number on the adapter is md098zm/a. Model number on the TV is KDLS504.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which model Ipad you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

model #md369LL

That shows that this is the correct AV adaptor. Where are you seeing the message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On the ipad. It pops up a little window that says "This accessory is not supported by ipad"

Do you also have the message on the Ipad when the HDMI cable is disconnected the AV adaptor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. Is there a special hdmi cable that I need?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I was wrong. It just popped up when i plugged the adapter into the ipad by itself.

Okay. Please shut the Ipad down, and the TV down. The disconnect and reeconnect the Ipad adaptor and HDMI cable making sure they are both secure. Then turn the Ipad on, wait a minute and turn the TV on. Do you have the same problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is still the same problem.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas on this one I will open the question to other experts to assist.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Please rate my answer quality on the service that I provide. Let's get started!

Are you able to press OK to the message and connect the iPad to the TV without any issues?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I push ok. Nothing happens. The TV is not showing that any component is attached to the HDMI.

Did you buy the A/V adapter directly from the Apple store?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought it from Staples online. It is the apple brand though. Not an off brand.

OK great --

Did you change the TV to the correct HDMI input after you connected the iPad?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. It is not showing it is connected. All the cables are secure and it is still not showing that any component is attached to the HDMI inputs.

I have seen and read about the same issue that you are having and it was either a bad cable or it was an older version of the DV adapter(which you don't have)

Are you able to return the adapter and try a new one? I am not sure how far away Staples is to you.

Josh, Mac Support
Experience: 5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support