Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

hi I just saved my work on a powerpoint project on my mac ,

closed the lid, drove home...
hi I just saved my work on a powerpoint project on my mac , closed the lid, drove home from the cafe when I was working and when I opened the computer I found that all of the work I had done on the project was gone. Not only that the file is now named "recovered file" and the file on my desktop when I keep all my work files is gone. Just gone. what is happening??
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2013
Mike, Mac Medic
So you named the file and saved it on the desktop? Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Yes I named the file and saved it to a file folder on my desk top

Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDr3

What system version please?

Version 10.8.3

OK you don't happen to have a Time Machine backup do you?

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Mike, Mac Medic

I am confused about how to do this.

Sorry I cancelled your duplicate question so you do not get charged again. Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to XXXXX partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Okay disk permissions appear to be OK
You need to Verify Disk first then Repair Disk if it fails. THEN... Repair Permissions not Verify Permissions. Let me know.
Okay I verified disk it was Ok then I verified disk permissions. It now says permissions repair complete.
Ok sorry but you said you Verified Permissions.. are you sure you don't mean Repair Permissions? That is what you need to do.
I verified the disk, it was OK, so then impressed verify disk permissions.
OK you need to click on REPAIR PERMISSIONS please.
Ok
When that is done open PowerPoint and go to PowerPoint / Preferences click on the Save icon is Save Autorecovery Info: checked?
Yes! That is checked
OK now go to PowerPoint / Help to Check for Updates. Install any if they are needed, then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update and also run that.

Hello, I updated the HD system and I got all of my work back!!

Thank you so much for your help!!

GREAT!!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. Thanks.

Mike, Mac Medic