Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I cannot download from a disc to my ipod classic. ITunes has

Customer Question
I cannot download from a...
I cannot download from a disc to my ipod classic. ITunes has been installed. I have spent a lot of time trying to do this in the last couple of days. I need a manual. Also, I cannot list my songs on the Music arrow position. I NEED HELP!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
6/18/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Vinod Menon, Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Hi

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

When you inserted the CD and opened iTunes, didn't it give you the option to import the songs?

Thank you
Vinod

No it did not have me import.

Ok.

Is your cd name listed to the top right corner of iTunes? Also, when did you download iTunes?

I have tried for the last two days but still cannot get the program to work. I have tried to follow the directions on the computer to no avail. Frustrating.

I understand, Mary...:(

Unfortunately, I am not sure where you are stuck up with. That is why I have some questions for you before we start troubleshooting.

There is a small box to the top left corner of iTunes, followed by a downward pointing arrow ( if you are using the latest iTunes). Click on that arrow and select "show menubar".

Now click on the "edit" menu and then on "preferences".

There is an option "when you insert a CD", what is the option selected there? Select it as "ask to import cd"

Now disconnect and reinsert the CD

Let me know

How do I do this without disconnecting you. I don't want to pay for nothing.

You can minimize this window and open iTunes. There is a "-" button to the top right corner of your web browser. That will minimize the page

I will try it now. I am just slow.

No worries...take your time

iTunes is in my music folder and there is not a down arrow. How do I get it to download correctly.

That is not the iTunes you should be looking at. You are now looking at the iTunes folder, not the app

There should be an iTunes application on your desktop. (A blue round icon).

If it is not there, you may not have downloaded iTunes

Please go to the following website

www.apple.com/itunes/download

There click on "download now" to start the download and install the app.

Now you will have an iTunes icon on your desktop. Open it and insert the cd. You would be asked to import the cd.

Le me know

I will try again. I-tunes is on my desk top!

That should be the one. It is a blue round icon

That worked, how do I get the music to the ipod

:)

Lets connect the iPod to the computer. Your iPod name would now be listed to the top right corner of iTunes. Click on the iPod name and now to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, info, photos, music etc.

Click on the music tab there and select "sync music" and select either entire library or selected playlists.

Now click on apply/sync at the bottom.

This should sync the songs into the iPod.

Let me know

okay, it will try that now.

Ok.

There is no name at the right hand corner or any of the other information. What is wrong.

Do you see "iTunes store" listed somewhere at the top right?

yes

Just to the left of iTunes Store, you would be seeing your iPod listed. Do you have it there?

Let me look

Ok

There was an ipod icon but it disappeared.

Lets disconnect and reconnect the iPod. Lets see whether it shows up again

Yes, it is back again.

. Your iPod name would now be listed to the top right corner of iTunes. Click on the iPod name and now to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, info, photos, music etc.

Now click on apply/sync at the bottom.

Let me know

Every time I click on the ipod it goes away. What is happening?

I think it is an issue with the iPod, the USB cable or with the USB port in the computer.

Try connecting the iPod to a different USB port in the computer. Now check whether it stays

Ok

How is it going?

I got to music and tried to sync music but I was block I think. How do I know if it is on my ipod?

Just search through your iPod and let me know

How do I do that?

Sorry for the delay.

Just disconnect your iPod. Now click on the menu button and search for songs within.

Let me know

No, it is not on there. Switching back and forth, I am back to zero. Can't you just call me. This is frustrating.

Sorry Mary, I wish I could call you, but that is against our policies.

Lets check this setting

Just connect the iPod to the computer. Click on the iPod name listed at the to right.

Now to the middle of the screen, click on the "summary" tab.

There, you should find an option called "manually manage music". Is that checked or not?

I told you there was no name in the upper right hand corner.

I thought you said it was there when you connected the iPod to a different USB port.

Have you got a different USB cable to connect the iPod to the computer?

No! The ipod classic only comes with one. The problem is that it will not sync music.

The actual problem is the iPod is not showing up. Or it stays only for a brief period of time. Only if it stays we can sync the music.

Connect the iPod to the computer. Now, on the iPod, press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple logo.

Now check whether your iPod name show up and it stays when you click on it.

If not, do you have a different computer just to check whether it is an iPod issue?

No I do not have another computer. This is the first time that I have had trouble download. I hate to take all the other music I have download off the ipod. Now my ipod say "no music" on the ipod. I feel this is a terrible way to communicate because everything is gone.

I am really sorry to hear that...:(

Unfortunately, we can only communicate in this mode. It will not wipe any music from your iPod if it is not showing up in iTunes.

Are all the songs present in your computer (which got deleted from your iPod)?

No.

I think the music should be on your computer (unless you had it on manually manage).

Lets place the iPod into disc mode and try a sync. Disconnect the iPod from the computer. Now, on the iPod, press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, press and hold the center button and th bottom button (play/pause) together for some time. This will place the iPod into disc mode. Now connect it to the computer and check whether your iPod name is XXXXX XXXXX at the top right.

I think we are way off track now. It says "okay to disconnect". I have had enough for the night and we are getting no where. I don't think I should be charged.

Don't worry. Please don't rate my service and you can go for a refund.

If you don't mind, shall we try again when you are free? You can just give me a time and the time zone you are in, so I can make myself ready.

I can also create some screenshots by then and may be tha helps you better.

I am not happy because you have not resolved the issue and it is one and one-half hours--you need to call. I am not going to rate this very good because the problem is not solved and I lost all the other songs. I am in Disk Mode--what is that?

Unfortunately, we need to diagnose the issue which requires time. I can only guide you. There can be several causes- since your iPod is not showing up (or staying in iTunes), it can be an issue with the iPod, the USB cable or with the port in the computer. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with hardware issues like that.

The only reason you could have lost the music on the iPod - if you sync your iPod with the computer and the songs in the iPod are not in your computer, the songs in the iPod will be overwritten. If they are purchases from the iTunes Store, we can easily get them back.

To get out of disc mode, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Again, I am really sorry. Please understand we are not apple and we don't have a phone support for technical issues. I can only help you with the expertise I have.

You need more knowledge for problems like we had. Unfortunately, my comments will not be good. Thank you. Good night. I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED--THE PROBLEM WAS NOT RESOLVED. I put the previous music on with CDs.

Please understand that I can only help solve the software issues. Sorry, I did not have enough time to get exactly where the problem lies.

also, when the songs were already on the iPod, were you able to play them? I may be able to help you get those back. Since everything is from cd's, they should mostly be in the computer. our only hindrance is that the ipod is not showing up in itunes.

Also, if you have enough time to spend for this, please reply and I am ready to walk you through.

Or if you look for a refund, Here's the link for refund

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist