Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, I have an IPAD2 with Iphoto application. It has 18000+

photos , filed in albums...
Hi, I have an IPAD2 with Iphoto application. It has 18000+ photos , filed in albums. I am no longer able to see the images in the "Album" tab, nor can I see the images in the "photos" tab. The photos have been taken with the IPAD and filed using it also. There is no storage on a Mac, Although I do have a Mac laptop. I do regularly backup using itunes on a microsoft laptop, altough this is about 3 days old.
6/13/2013
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Hi

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Sorry to hear that you are now not able to view your photos....:(

Did you mean you are not able to view them in the iPhoto app? What if you go to the photos app in your iPad (not the photos tab in iPhoto)? Are you able to view them all there?

Thank you
Vinod

Hi Vinod,

In the Photos App, I CAN see the photos in the "photos" tab and the "album" tab.

I cannot however see the photos in the IPHOTO app as described earlier.

Shailendra Singh

Thank you.

It could be a problem with the app itself. Lets start with a simple reset.

Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether that resolves your issue. We will go for the next steps if that does not work out.

Hi Vinod. I tried the reset as you requested. Issue is NOT fixed.

Shailendra

Double click the home button. This will bring up a layer of apps to the bottom part of the iPad screen. You will find your iPhoto app there. Tap and hold on it until it wiggles. Now click on the "-" button next to it. Once done, click the home button once so that the layer disappears.

Now check whether your issue is resolved.

If that too doesn't work, lets delete and reinstall the iPhoto app.

Tap and hold on the app until it wiggles. Now click on the "x" button next to it. Once deleted, reinstall the app from the App Store. You will not have to pay again if you are using the same apple id.

Let me know.

Hi Vinod,

Reinstalling the IPhoto App has fixed the problem. Thank you.

Does backing up on itunes protect me from this issue if I need to restore - most important is the storage of the photos and the index library for iphotos..

Also, Is there a way to copy the whole library onto a Macbook for added protection in the future, and restore back to an IPAD if necessary.

Great to know that the reinstall has fixed the problem...:)

Yes, backing up the iPad will help. When you sync your iPad to the computer, iTunes will automatically create a backup. The only restriction is that you can have a single backup. The next time you sync, the old backup will be replaced.

If you try a restore, once the restore is completed, you will be asked to restore from a previous backup, in which case you can select the recent backup and all your photos, contacts etc will be restored.

However, if you have a large amount of information you wish not to loose, I would recommend a separate backup (for example, copying all the photos into an external drive), so if something happens to the computer or the iPad, the contents are always safe.

This document will help you transfer all photos into your computer or external drive
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083

Vinod,

This helps. My enquiry with the last part of my query above was how to save the iphoto index library on a MacBook or PC (outside of itunes). With 18000 photos it would take a long time to recreate it even if I had all the photos. Is this possible to do?

Promise this will be the last question.

Shailendra.

No problem, I am ready to answer any amount of questions you have.

I am not sure how the iPhoto app works. I went through the iphoto documents and there is nothing which says there is a link between iphoto in the ipad and the one in the mac. You can directly download all the photos in the "photos" app to your computer or to iPhoto in the Mac. However, I don't think you can save the indexes of the iPhoto app.

All those indexes will be in the backup anyway. So if you wish to save the indices, I believe you should get it from the backup.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist