Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have two Mac computers (and iMac and a laptop) running on

Customer Question
OSX 10.5.8. Can I...
I have two Mac computers (and iMac and a laptop) running on OSX 10.5.8. Can I upgrade to the current operating system
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you supply the serial numbers for each?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information.

Then, repeatedly click on the word "Version" until it says "Serial Number" and please provide that number.

Thanks,

for the iMac the serial number is QP9220XM0TJ

for the laptop it is

31QST7KXT

Thanks, Richard.

can you double check the laptop serial number please?

the serial number for the MacBook is

W88525ZL1AQ

I don't know how I found the other number -sorry

Thanks again Richard!

It looks like you are in luck and both Macs can be upgraded to the latest version, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

First you must upgrade to 10.6 and going from OS X 10.5.x to OS X 10.6.x is a paid upgrade.

For a limited time, it may be available via the Apple Online store in the US:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

It is no longer officially sold in most stores and if you can't readily find it most customers have been able to get it via telephone.

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can send on CD for around $20 USD shipped.

Once you have the disc, the upgrade process is fairly simple. After the install, keep running System Preferences > Software Update until no more updates are offered.

Once you have 10.6.8 installed, you will then be able to upgrade to the latest release of OS X (10.8 Mountain Lion) via the Mac Store. Sadly, you must have 10.6.8 installed first to upgrade further.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid