Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Is there a way I can use a shortcut to switch between

Customer Question
Hi Is there a way I...
Hi

Is there a way I can use a shortcut to switch between my 4 Accounts on my Mac?

Also, how do I stop Word for Mac, Powerpoint for Mac and Excel for Mac automatically launching when I restart my Mac or change Accounts?

Thanks

Charles
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
6/12/2013
Mac Support Specialist: RussellA, Systems Engineer replied 4 years ago
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer

RussellA :

Hi, first, the easy part...

RussellA :

To stop any application in MAC, the easy way it would be to CLICK on the ICON for 2 seconds

RussellA :

and then choose the QUIT button

RussellA :

If your computer has multiple user accounts, switching between users can be inconvenient. Normally, to allow another user to log in, you have to log out of your account completely, closing all your documents and quitting all open applications.

However, you can allow more than one user to say logged in to the computer at the same time by turning on “fast user switching.” When fast user switching is turned on, another user can log in and use the computer while the previous user stays logged in and all their applications and documents remain open. When the second user is finished using the computer, you can easily switch back to the previous account.

To turn on fast user switching:

• Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Accounts.

• Click the lock icon to unlock it, and then enter an administrator name and password.

• Click Login Options.

• Select “Show fast user switching menu as”, and choose how you want the user’s to appear in the pop-up menu

The current user will appear in the menu bar in the upper-right corner of the screen.

To quickly switch between user accounts:

• From the name of the current user, in the menu bar in the upper-right corner of the screen, choose the account you want to log in to.

RussellA :

Hope this helps!

RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer
Hi Russell

Can you explain more as I do not understand your answer

Charles

Certainly, which part would you like further explanation on?
Hi Russell

I have just read the bottom of your reply to me which I missed earlier due to some weird formatting issue!

I now know how to switch accounts more efficiently - thank you.

Can you clarify how I inhibit Microsoft's software (which I have to use but dislike with a passion) from launching automatically? Is there a box I need to tick/untick somewhere to do this?

Sorry for this late response, but what do you mean automatically? If you click on an extension for .DOC files, not to run Microsoft Word? If so, here is an example of changing association types, in this example I will use Microsoft Word for MAC to Open Office Writer.

Find the file type(s) that you want to change the application to open with
Get Info about a file that is of that file type, say a .doc
Click the ‘Open With’ arrow to expand an application list
Choose the application you want all files of this type to open with (in this example we’ll use Open Office Writer to open all .doc files)
Click “Change All” and then “Continue” when the confirmation dialog appears
RussellA
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer