Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an OS x 10.8.4 early 2011 edition and it is not recognizing

Customer Question
my Iphone 4s. I...
I have an OS x 10.8.4 early 2011 edition and it is not recognizing my Iphone 4s. I have no idea what to do on this. Sometimes I might get a charge, but not the norm (and even so my computer still does not recognize this). My Iphone 4s is recognized on my desktop at work.

Help Please
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
6/11/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

First I want to make sure you haven't actually trashed anything. Is iTunes back in the Applications folder?

Yes, I have not trashed anything. It wouldn't let me

Ok good.

...and what version of iTunes is installed?

11.0.4 (4)

64 Bit

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your iOS device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the iOS device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Then try connecting it to the MacBook and see if it is recognized.

If not;
Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator (Alternative: press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu).

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

Try the iPhone once more.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to positively rate my service

Register Here
. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion prior to rating. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

Hi John,

It still isn't working or recognizing my Iphone 4s. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Are you using the same cord as at work?

Are you running any antivirus or firewall software?

I am using a different cord at work, but the cord I am using now works if I plug it into a wall.

I am running no antivirus or firewall software (that I know of).

This MacBook was purchased in early 2011, correct?

Yes its an early 2011 Macbook Pro

OSX 10.8.4 Software (12E55)

Also - the Iphone will not let me pair with the blue tooth technology. Stating it is not supported and "forget device"

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Shut down the Mac.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

When it's back at the desktop, try the iPhone again.

Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi John,

It still did not work and now my phone is charging on other computers and the battery is not holding it's charge for as long as needed.

I am taking it back to the store today.

All for now,

Jim

Thanks for the update, Jim. If it's still not working right on other computers, either then it certainly seems like a condition with the phone.

Good luck!
John T. F., Mac Druid