Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I rebuilt my database in Outlook and did not set the new identity

Customer Question
as the default in the...
I rebuilt my database in Outlook and did not set the new identity as the default in the last step. Have I lost all my contacts and old emails? Everything seems gone.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
6/11/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 4 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Quit Outlook and then hold Option and Command while opening Outlook. You can choose the old data in the next dialogue box. Let me know.

I see the backup database as a choice, but once I highlight it and then open outlook, it's still the same. Empty with none of my old emails or email accounts.

Ouch let's check some things. Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Version 10.7.5 ( I just reinstalled that version last night as the computer was having problems first and disk utilities had to repair the disk. It still ran poorly so I reinstalled the operating system). The processor is 2.66Ghz Intel Core i7. The memory is 4 GB 1067Mhz DDR3.

I do have a time machine back up of my old computer from about 3 weeks ago to. But that's a different operating system. Still perhaps the contacts can be extracted some way if we can't figure it out this way first.

In that case if you are sure the drive is OK and you have repaired permissions, just recover your Microsoft User Data Folder from Documents from 3 weeks ago then let me know. DO NOT open Outlook yet

I don't know how to do that. If I connect the drive, won't it start replacing what's on there with what's on the computer now? Also I have no idea where or how to recover the Microsoft User Data Folder. Once found do I drag it to the desktop or something?

Also, all of the mail account information is gone. Will this data folder also reload the information need to retrieve my mail, because I don't have that written down anywhere and can't replicate it.

Sorry go to your Documents folder and highlight Microsoft User Data folder then open Time Machine go back to the date you want to Recover and click on Recover in the bottom left. Choose "Keep both" folders just to be safe. When that is done let me know.

Before I do this, when you say "open Time Machine," does that mean plug the external drive into the computer? I don't want to do anything wrong. I only have one back up of this computer.

Time Machine is meant to be on with the drive plugged in at at all times, but yes plug the drive in and do that. Do you know how to use Time Machine?
When you highlight your Microsoft User Data folder and then you click on Time Machine icon in the Dock with your TM drive plugged in it will go into the starfield with the dates on the right. Go back to the date you want to recover and then click on Recover in the bottom left corner and when asked "Keep Both," folders. Let me know when that is done.

I think I've done that now.

OK now go to Applications / Utilities and open Terminal, copy and paste this line then hit Return:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook.plist

then hold down the Option key and open Outlook, this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, rebuild the database then quit that when done and open Outlook.

I did what you said. When I opened Outlook with the option key down it had a list of identities--the main one and three choices from yesterday. I chose the main one and it opened outlook as though it had never been opened before. We're not doing very well here...

As I said it seems your database is corrupt and without a backup there is only a limited amount of troubleshooting we can do. At this point you will just have to choose the others and see if they can be rebuilt... I suggest the oldest one first.

They are rebuild with none of my information imported. What about the information from when I backed up 3 weeks ago? Can't that be copied over or something? Isn't this the point of the back up?

Sorry my internet is being worked on here. Yes that is what we already did, sorry I was thinking of different customer, you Recovered it and you kept both versions, right?
If none of those will work, quit Outlook, then go to your Documents folder and trash Microsoft User Data folder then rename the old one which should be Microsoft User Data old or something like that back to Microsoft User Data, then try rebuilding again

I don't understand what to do. Outlook says it's rebuilt the database. Then it's empty of any old emails or email account information. There are at this point 2 Microsoft User Data folders. I feel nervous throwing something into the trash. Worried that perhaps the situation will get worse. This justanswer site would certainly be better if we could do this in real time rather than back and forth emails.

You Recovered your backup Microsoft User Data folder and that is no good as you have tried it. You are just trashing that recovered folder and renaming the old one that you did not trash because you "kept both" when you Recovered it from Time Machine. Understood? I can connect to your computer and do it for you if you wish.

At this point I don't know what's going on anymore. I can't remember the steps I've taken. What's involved in you doing it?

I can share your screen and control it if you wish.

Please go here:

https://join.me

Click on Apps at the top of the screen and then download the Mac Desktop app below and on the right:

It should download to your Downloads folder and automatically expand to join.me.app, if not double click on it to expand the zip file.

Drag that to your Applications folder and double click on it:

You should see a window.

Click on share.

You will see a 9 digit number at the top, give that to me here. Then look for my messages on your screen.

It's 433-236-753

Sorry Internet again are you ready now?
It is giving me a Network error so I assume you have quit the program?

I'm in Europe. I had to go to sleep. I'll be available later today.

Yes I figured... thanks let me know when you are ready.
Mike, Mac Medic