Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

prefer a remote chat please, i would like someone to remote

in and look at my...
prefer a remote chat please, i would like someone to remote in and look at my settings.
no matter what options I choose, my firefox wll not save my tabs.
when i shut down the computer, and reboot, not only are the tabs not there, it won't even give me the option on the dropdown menue to re-open the history. very frustrating
6/11/2013
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
A remote session most likely would not be practical for this as you may need to restart your machine.
You want it to save the tabs when you exit correct?
.

yes

and Ive used remote before where I've had to reboot and it wasn't an issue but ok.

.
Usually trying to reconnect after a restart can be a problem.
If you would like me to opt out so someone who uses remote support can help let me know.
What version of firefox do you have installed?
.

13.0.1

.
Thank you at the top where you normally see www.justanswer.com for example delete everything.
Then type in about:config and press enter make sure the : is there or it will not work.

Click on I'll be careful and you should get a big list.
Type in browser.tabs.warn and you should be left with a very short list.

Set them all to true.
Now when you close it will ask you if you want to save the tabs.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

.

they are all on true

.
Please set them to false then, and close.
Then re-open and set them to true.
Hopefully that will get it to recognize the change.
.

did it, closed, rebooted, reopened. It did not open the tabs, only after i went to history did it allow me to open them

.
I apologize but I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Mike, Mac Medic
I can remote but I will need some info first. Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

version 10.7.5

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4gn 1600 Mhz DDR3

OK this you have to do without me... remote can't do it. Let me know after:

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

Disk was ok

repaired permissions

rebooted

still not opening tabs

Open Firefox and go to Firefox / About Firefox what is the version number?

13.01

I use an extension/add on (snaplinks) that im not willing to lose with the most recent firefox update, if we need to update I would prefer to update to the one before that

SnapLinks is fully compatible with Firefox 21, you are at 13... I suggest you download the latest version here and install. Let me know if that fixes the problem:

tabs still not opening :/

So if you hit Command - T it does not open a new tab?

it does

So the problem is the tabs don't come back after you close Firefox and open it again? Disable all Add Ons then make sure all boxes are checked under Firefox / Preferences / Tabs. Let me know.

Yes, that is the correct issue. No, its still not working.

When i close firefox, i lose any pages I had open.

Not only that, but when I got to recently closed, it's greyed out and offers no options.

Im having a similar problem in chrome, where the tabs do not come back up, however, it at least lets me go into the menu/history and open the last tabs I had open.

This is very frustrating on both browsers.

I suggest you reinstall your system:

I know you already did this part but do it again anyway.

If all ok quit Disk Utility, then select reinstall MacOS X. Let me know after restart
Will I lose information on a reinstall?
No

done, still no change. I'm not an idiot with computers, a little new w the mac, but still...this is the reason I asked for remote in the beginning, it has to be something im overlooking right?

Not that I see, most of the stuff I asked you to do cannot be done remotely. To completely reset Firefox do this, FYI your extensions and themes will be removed; open tabs, windows and tab groups will not be saved; and your preferences will be reset:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems
Mike, Mac Medic

still nothing, this is driving me nuts as i lose my windows every time

I assume you have checked the obvious like go to Firefox / Preferences / Privacy then under History it is set to Firefox will: Remember history? The fact that you said it was happening on another browser led me to believe it was a system wide problem. Also System Preferences / General make sure Restore windows when quitting and restarting apps is checked

For future reference, I believe the answer to this problem, at least with Macs, is to use firefox>quit firefox as opposed to X'ing out the page. After doing everything that was suggested, including reinstalling my system, reinstalling firefox, this was never mentioned.

I never knew anyone who did it that way sorry. That does not quit the program.

I did it that way for years on my pc and it always reopened the previous set of windows. Im new to mac. So just as an aside, that could be a good thing to confirm with the customer in the future before everything else. :) Thanks for your help

Mike, Mac Medic