Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Good morning. I am using iMovie (9.0.8) to make a music video.

Customer Question

Good morning. I am using iMovie (9.0.8) to make a music video. How can i place in my music and see the whole song to place in the corresponding video clips not necessarily chronologically? I have clips that go further in the song and can't see where in the track to place them.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Have you used iMovie before? You can load your music track directly to an Event then drag it to a new Project. You add your video or photo clips above it in the Project and rearrange as necessary. Let me know.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is what the older versions of iMovie look like, not this version. I do know how to use iMovie. 9.0.8 puts your audio track into the project as a box but doesn't stretch it out for you to see the whole time line therefore I can't place a video clip further into the song with gaps (for now). If I drop a video clip in, iMovie places it at the first available spot in the audio, I do not seem to have control over where I put it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The easiest way is to make a black or white image using an image editor the size of your video frame and add it to the timeline. Stretch it to use as a placeholder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately that doesn't help when trying to line audio and video up together. In the older versions of iMovie you had separate tracks for audio and video and the entire audio was spread out. How can I do that in this version?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Select "Show Audio Waveform" at the bottom:

I think these tutorials are great:

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/imovie/5-audio-editing-features-imovie-11
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have that selected. Unfortunately that doesn't really change anything. I really need them to be 2 separate tracks. I guess that is not possible in this version?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
They are separate but you have to put spacers in the video or the next clip just snaps to the one before it.