Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have purchased over 1300 songs from I-tunes over the past

two years...Love you guys...have a...
I have purchased over 1300 songs from I-tunes over the past two years...Love you guys...have a couple hundred dollars more worth of cards...ready to use...My fiancee, concerned about losing our investment (and rightfully so) asked me to back up our files...I tried, through I-Tunes...could no longer find the backup option (apparently no longer available in more recent versions)...so I tried to back it up with NERO...Now my library has been wiped out (not totally, but mostly)...exclamation marks all over the place...Tried to restore a missing library file...Worked for a short time...restored maybe 1000 of MY purchased songs...I-Tunes then did its own update and wiped out my library...What's up?
6/8/2013
csfischer20
csfischer20, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist. Have you tried to click the purchased tab in your itunes to see if your whole library is still in there? If it is, you will just have to redownload the songs and you will be good to go.

Hi Chris...tried that at first, I-Tunes showed me that the purchased files are still there. However, it would not let me redownload them. Now after a further update by I-Tunes, I can no longer open I-Tunes at all...I just get an error message of some kind about some missing library file preventing I-Tunes from opening.
Ok, now that you verified that you have record of the files George, Lets try to get your itunes working:

Download the latest installer

1. Open Safari or another web browser.
  2. Go to the iTunes downlad page and click the Free Download button. (http://www.apple.com/itunes/?ref=http://itunes.com)
  3. Make sure that the Mac OS X version is selected on that page.
  4. Click the Download button to start the download.

Once the file is downloaded, a new Finder window appears containing two items (below). If a Finder window doesn't appear, locate the iTunesX.dmg file (where X is the iTunes version number) on the desktop (or wherever your downloads go) and double-click it to display these items:

• A "Read Before You Install iTunes" file. This document contains the system requirements for the version of iTunes, and may contain other useful information about installing.

• An iTunes.mpkg file (this is the installer file itself).

Install iTunes

1. Quit iTunes if it is currently open.
  2. Double-click the iTunes.mpkg file. This opens the Installer application in Mac OS X.
  3. Follow the instructions in the installer screens.
  4. After the installation has completed, quit the Installer and restart the computer. The new version of iTunes appears on your hard disk in your Applications folder.

Opening iTunes

It's possible that clicking the iTunes icon in your Dock or double-clicking an iTunes icon on your desktop could open an older version of iTunes. Open iTunes from the Applications folder to be sure you are opening the right version:

1. Double-click your hard disk.
  2. Double-click the Applications folder.
  3. Double-click the iTunes icon.

If you notice another copy of iTunes in the Dock after following these steps, here's a way to take care of that:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Drag the iTunes icon out of the Dock.
  3. Drag the iTunes icon from the Applications folder to the Dock.

Please let me know how this works for you. It just looks like your itunes is corrupted.

Thanks...I have to leave for now but will attempt this later on today...was thinking about trying this before, but was worried that reinstalling I-Tunes would wipe out my library altogether!
Take your time and go at your own pace sir. As long as you verify that the Itunes are still in your purchased inventory, then you can redownload them to any device you register on itunes at any time.

Attempted what you suggested...no luck...this is the last screen I received...

"ITunes installer completed.

Errors occurred during installation before ITunes could be configured.

Your system has not been modified to complete the installation. Run the installer again.

Click finish to exit the installer."

This is the message I receive when I attempt to open ITunes...

"The iTunes Library.itl file cannot be found or created. The default location for this file is in the "itunes" folder in the music folder."

I was not able to locate the iTunes.mpkg or the "Read before you install" file. Every time after I downloaded the file, I was directed to a iTunes setup.exe file which leads to the aborted installation described above. I attempted this four times...same result every time...what next??

George, Are you on a mac or a pc? You saying you are using .exe files makes me think you are using windows, but the question came under mac. Please let me know what you are using and what version.

Chris

I am running a pc with Vista.

Ok, that makes sense now. Go into the control panel, click add/remove programs. Remove Itunes. After you do this, reboot the pc and then download itunes again and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't fix it, I will walk you through a system restore. (you will not lose your data)

I apologize for the confusion, again I thought you were running a mac.

Hi Chris, the confusion was my fault...looks like I asked the original question through JustAnswer.mac by mistake...oops...(I did what you suggested, uninstalled iTunes, rebooted and reinstalled iTunes from scratch...no go...still get "The itunes library.itl file cannot be found or created. The default location for this file is in the "itunes" folder in the music folder." when I attempt to open the file.

Ok. Give me just a little bit to look into the file problem. In the mean time I have one more thing for you to try. It is called Revo uninstaller. It will do away totally with iTunes and then you should be able to reload it.Here is the link and it is free.http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.htmlPlease also remove the downloaded exe files for iTunes to make sure your system is rid of the whole thing. It should then be downloaded and installed again and make all new files.Chris

Downloaded and ran Revouninstaller as you suggested...also did an advanced scan and had it remove all the remnants it could find. It did generate a message "Warning 1910. Could not remove shortcut iTunes.Ink. Verify that the shortcut file exists and that you can access it."...When I did a further search on this elusive shortcut file, the search found an itunes file under my music file complete with past library files(empty) and my existing (though incomplete) music database...I didn't know whether I should delete these too (very hesitant to delete my own music), so I left these files and rebooted and reinstalled iTunes as before. The result was the same...missing library.itl files. Should the uninstaller have found and deleted this itunes file along with these library files and my music database(partial) or was I correct in leaving this untouched for now??

George,

That file needs deleted and it won't hurt anything. That is the one that is messing up your install and deleting it will make iTunes reinstall it. Please remove it again and delete any iTunes files that remain.

It worked!!!...All my purchased files are back (all 1300+). ITunes restored them automatically. I will have to reinstall my own added files, of course, since I had deleted everything, but that is not a problem. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX much for your patience and support...One question though...What do you think caused this in the first place?...Attempting a NERO backup?...I certainly want to avoid this from happening again...I want to feel secure in being able to sync my ipod with my computer again...How can I safely back these files up?

Thanks again,

George

George, I don't really know what caused it because file corruption is a common issue. I am very happy that you are up and running. If you need anything else, please feel free to contact me. Please don't forget to rate my service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX here and you can request me that way should you have a need in the future. I appreciate your patience and it was great working with you sir.

Chris
csfischer20
csfischer20, Computer Hardware Engineer
csfischer20
csfischer20
csfischer20, Computer Hardware Engineer