Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an ipod that only one earbud was working and read online

that if i open it...
I have an ipod that only one earbud was working and read online that if i open it, unscrew the jack's securing screw and adjust the positioning of the headphone plug with the headphhone jack until sound is present through both buds then tighten screw back once in position that it would fix the problem...only once I was able to pry the ipod open, I all of a sudden lost all sound...did I somehow mess something up on the motherboard, and if so, how do I repair the problem?
6/6/2013
Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Thanks for your Question. My name is Richard.

The original problem is nearly always the headphones, not the iPod.

Do you have no sound with other headphones? Have you tested others?

What exactly did you touch when you pried it open?

I first tested the headphones by trying other pairs (sorry I forgot to mention that)

I did not touch anything when I opened it initially, but it had no sound...thought maybe upon opening it perhaps I had disconnected something somewhere, but I can't see anything detached. At that point, I plugged in my earbuds and using an eyeglass-type screwdriver, I loosened and pressed on the headphone jack to see if I could attain sound. I didn't press very hard or try any big sort of movement as I have become unsure of what happened.

Hope this info. helps you. :)

did you de-static yourself before touching the iPod?

This means clipping a static bracelet to you and connecting it to a large piece of metal?

no, but I wear a sterling silver link bracelet at all times, does that do the trick? :)

and the screwdriver I was using is all metal...handle and all

No sorry!

You shorted out the iPod's speaker module.

You ALWAYS needs to use one of these when touching any electrical components.

Click ME

The problem is, you have a build up of static in your body, and this can short out a component of the iPod when you touched it, which has occurred.

How old is the iPod?

That doesn't sound correct to me as I didn't touch anything with my fingers. In the case that this did happen, how do I go about replacing/repairing the 'sound module'?

you only need to come in close contact with it, but if you touched nothing, this is the only explanation, it will not just stop working on itself, plus prising it open puts a lot on pressure on it if not done correctly.

You cannot buy the part, (none of the components from Apple are sold seperatly) which is why I asked you how old it is?

Yes, prying is quite a bit of pressure; however, the prying was done in an upward direction, away from the component as it is the face that lifts away from the backing. The backing houses the component. If Apple components are not sold separately, what does it matter the age?

because you can attempt a warranty

Why are you avoid this question? It is twice now I ask

at this point, I didn't realize you expected that answer...I apologize. It is past the warranty period, otherwise I would've taken it to Apple :) I read online that doing this attempt would void the warranty and so it was suggested to use if you were past your warranty period.

No problem!

Have you done a Factory Reset of the iPod to rule out any firmware corruption?

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Did you really need to rate me poorly?

not sure if i did it correctly. I clicked on reset all settings under settings, but no change. Regarding my rating, I don't know, would you want to pay for an answer that didn't solve your problem?

You are not paying for an answer, you are paying for my service.

And rating me bad has no impact on whether you paid or not, you already have.

All you did was just give me a black mark and receive nothing for working on the problem for you.

wow, whatever....how is it that I'm now enrolled in unlimited plan when I clicked 'not now'. How do I cancel this trial membership that I don't want?

If you clicked not now, it will not enroll you.

If you enrolled and want to not enroll anymore, then email

[email protected]

I clicked on not now then I clicked on my account and there it reads that I'm currently in unlimited plan. All after I gave u a good rating, so I don't think it actually charged me until then. thanks.

No problem, send the email in to cancel it, they will do this for you.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

i was being sarcastic.

Richard, Apple Software Engineer