Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi there I am having problems getting my mac to access my works

VPN it used to work...
Hi there I am having problems getting my mac to access my works VPN it used to work fine but something has gone wrong somewhere. Can you help at all?
6/6/2013
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today! To get stated, I need to ask you some questions.

Your mac, what version of osx does it have, 10.6 10.7 10.8 ?

And when your at home.. Are you using a wireless router, or is your mac directly plugged into your Modem?

Also, have you changed your internet service provider recently, or changed your modem or router equipment itself?

Hi I am on OSX 10.7.5

I have a wired connection and a wireless connection to my Virgin Superhub. I can switch between both easily.

Same provider, same equipment.

Thanks..

I doubt this will work.. But its something simple we need to do first.. Before we try a more technical repair step.

Can you unplug your Superhub from power.. Let it sit for one minute.. Then plug it back in.

and then next, can you restart your mac, and then test and see if you can connect to the VPN now..

Thanks,

Dustin S.

This was the first thing I tried this morning when I set out to resolve this. Do you really want me to try it again? The old "Have you tried turning it on and off again?" didn't work the first time! ;-)

If you already tried, no need to try it again.. Like I said, i didnt think that alone would work.. ( but every now and then it does )

Ok.. Before we try anything, need to ask a few more questions.

Do you know for certain what your wireless password XXXXX XXXXX your home wireless network.. Such as, If we wanted to connect a new laptop, you would know the password XXXXX type in?

And also, if we completely reset the macs network settings, are you familiar with how to reconnect to the wireless network?

As long as both answers are a yes.. Lets do the following.

First, shut down the mac and reset your pram..

Then when the mac starts up, we want to rename or delete your network preferences file... The page below discusses both procedures.

http://tearfulwolfstudios.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/reset-network-preferences-osx/

Once the preference files have been deleted.. Then its time to reconnect to your home wireless network first..

Once connected. Then its time to follow the instructions your work sent for setting up the VPN.

If you get stuck at any point, or if these steps do not work.. Please let me know so that I can continue to assist you James.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Hi. Thanks for you instructions. I just followed them all to the letter. However the VPN will still nor connect. Any other ideas?

What exactly happens when you try to connect.. Are you getting any errors?

Yes I get the following error:-

"A connection could not be established to the PPP server. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your administrator."

I have spoke to our IT guy in the US where I'm trying to connect to, to check I have correct IP, username and password. He saying that I should be choosing PPTP in [Network - Advance - TCP/IP - Configure] but the only options are "Using PPP", "Manually" or "Off".

To be clear.. when your on your page to configure.. And you click VPN you dont have PPTP as a type to select ? ( as shown below )

https://www.ipredator.se/guide/pptp/lion

No he is talking about the area once you have set up the connection when you configure it and click on [Advanced] and the go across to the [TCP/IP] tab. There is an option there that says Configure IPv4:

He is saying that should be PPTP.

The bit you showed in the screen I have set up as PPTP.

Thanks.

Yes.. Thats a few more screens down.. And as long as you initially selected PPTP..

When you get to the configure tab, its only going to show either PPP or OFF.. Such as this picture

lion_07.png

Is that the tab your talking about?

Yes thats the one.

Then what your seeing is correct.. Ithink the tech you spoke to must just be mistaken, or thinking of a microsoft interface instead.. also.. These settings were working correctly before..

Question.. On the main network screen.. How many different connections do you currently see showing... Just one VPN, or are there multiple?

I have the following:-

Ethernet - connected

Wi-Fi - Connected

Firewire - Not Connected

Turtle Beach VPN - Not Connected

Obviously Turtle Beach VPN is the one I am having problems with.

Question.. Do you have your mac connected by both an ethernet cable.. And wifi?

Yes but I have tried turning each of them off in turn and connecting but to no avail!

Lets try turning off the wifi for now..

Then, delete the VPN entirely.. Then.. restart the mac.. ( make sure it connects with only ethernet )

And then, add the vpn again from scratch..

Also in the mean time, can you provide the DNS specific settings that they sent you for connecting...

Thanks!

This is the info I was given bar my username and password:-

Domain: vtb-domain

IP is 24.38.92.106 and protocol is PPTP.

Just done what you asked and still cannot connect

Would you mind if I connected to your mac from here.. So I can help you try to get this set up in person.. and I can try some settings tweaks and changes as needed on the spot James?
I don't mind that at all but I am back in the office today. Will you be about at the weekend at all?

I will be online this weekend, so if you would like to meet up over the weekend, I will be available.

Dustin S.
Sorry Dustin it's been a manic weekend. I'm actually taking my max into my new office tomorrow in a different location so it'll be interesting to see if it can connect then. If it can't I will contact you and perhap you can connect to it and have a tweak around with the setting for me?

Thanks James.
Understood James.. And my apologies for the delay in responding.. The 9th, ended up being a day I took off work due to health issues..

Im back online today, a little worse for wear, but available..

If it ends up ening that you do need me to connect, that option is still on the table. Thanks for keeping me updated.

Dustin S.

Hello again James,

Its been a few days since I heard from you.. And I just wanted to check back and see if you wanted to take me up on the offer to connect and help you fine tune the VPN connection.. or if you were able to get it resolved on your own.

Dustin S.
It's beginning to look like a location/provider issue. Attempting to resolve tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks James.
Thank you for the update James.

Will watch for replies from you over the next few days..

D.S

Hi Dustin

It turned out to be some settings on my router that had defaulted to not allow PPTP out after a firmware update that I wasn't aware of! How ridiculous is that?

Anyway, though it was worth letting you know it was DJ-Shadow's post here that resolced the issue, might help for other Virgin Broadband customers having the same issue: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Unable-to-connect-to-VPN/m-p/1828338#M42608

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX you help buddy!

James.

Thank you for letting me know James.. I wasnt ready to blame the router until I had connected, and checked out everything on the computer itself first.. ( some firewalls, antiviruses, and other programs can block the connection )

I tend to work from the center, andthen slowly check everything in order from Computer, to networking equipment, to the network itself..

As far as the deposit you put down here at JustAnswer.. What would you like to see happen with that..

It can either be applied to this question if you feel that the service warrants it,

Or, you can leave it in your JustAnswer account in case you want to seek assistance here in the future.

Or you can verbally request a refund, and I can submit that refund for you.

Let me know how you want to proceed James, so that we can close this session out to your satisfaction.

Dustin S.

Hi Dustin

How much was the deposit again?

I cant see it from my end.. ) as we as technicians have no access to your personal account details or payment details)

I can tell you how to find out.. If your logged into justanswer right now..

At the top right, click account..

and then on the left it should show the deposit amount . If you have any issues locating it, let me know.

AWw man just apply it to this case.you may not have ultimately resolved the issue but you narrowed it down and pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for a really professional and timely service.would happily recommend!

James.

Thank you James.. I truly appreciate your candor and nod of appreciation.

Been a tough week! To close this session out ( as I cant do so for you )

Can you click one of the rating icons below, to signify your rating of the service I provided. And that will finalize the deposit as well. ( currently its held in escrow )

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/

Enjoyed working with you, and hope your weekend treats you well.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist