Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

We have a Canon560 printer attached to an iMac. Our problem

is when we print a...
We have a Canon560 printer attached to an iMac. Our problem is when we print a page from our e-mail or other screen the too large texts prints beyond the edges of the page and finishes the lines on another sheet of paper. How do we make the adjustments so that we print the screen image on one sheet. Thanks. Pierre in PEI
6/6/2013
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

When your printing, what web browser are you using to print your email from..

Safari, mozilla firefox, chrome?

Or, do you print directly from the apple mail program screen?

Usually Firefox, sometimes Safari. As for e-mails we print directly from the Apple screen.

When you say directly from the apple screen.

Do you mean you click the stamp ( mail icon ) in your doc.. and all your mail is shown there and that is where you print from?

Or, are you opening firefox, manually logging into your email through firefox, and printing from there? ( sorry to ask for clarification, Just have to be certain which way your printing so that I can send the correct steps to solve this )

The e-mails (the majority of our printing) is accessed by clicking the stamp, not by going through Firefox.

PS: I like your style (level of questions). We're not very computer-literate as you can already tell.

Thank you, and unfortunately I have just a few more questions to ask.. they are neccesary though.

Your mac.. If you minimize or close all windows.. And then at the top left of your screen you click the mac symbol,

and then click about this mac.

what version does it say you have.. 10.6 10.7 10.8 ?

Version 10.6.8. I don't know if this is relevant but last year we had the "language" updated on our iMac. I don't really know what that means but our system has been operating better since.

That does make sense.. You probably went from 10.5 version, to the 10.6 version...

Thank you for the info.. Ok.lets try to get your emails printing full screen.. This may take more then one attempt, so bare with me.

The finder, spotlight or search tool. ( whatever you like to call it )

The text box you can type in to search your mac.. at the top right of your screen.

In that text box type in terminal

Then, you should see a selection for an application called terminal, click that and open it.

now, copy and paste these two commands

defaults write com.apple.Preview PVImagePrintingScaleMode 0

defaults write com.apple.Preview PVImagePrintingAutoRotate 0

Once thats done, hit enter.

Once thats done.. Close apple mail.. Then open apple mail.

Now find an email you want to print, go into the print preview.. ( does the email now appear to take up the whole page? )

if so, then print it.. And lets see what we get!

If you get stuck, run into any issues, or this doesnt work, please send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Sorry, you lost me already at "finder, spotlight, search tool" at top right of screen. The only box I see there is the Google box. Do I need to clear Firefox and/ or the e-mail screens? Any other identification?

If and when I find it, I'm not certain that I can "copy and paste".

I apologize for being so naive...it's embarrassing.

Theres no need to apologize.. let me try some visual Aids, and we can work through this one step at a time..

I tried to explain the directions a little better and in more depth below.. Please try to run through step by step, and if you get stuck at any point, please let me know where.

The finderbox im discussing is here

373 × 215 - macbiblioblog.blogspot.com

Its the little magnifying glass at the top right of your screen. You may have to minimize firefox or safari to see it.

Once you see it , left click the magnifying glass, and you will see the text bar where you can type.

Type in terminal, then a list of results should show up..

On that list of results, we want to left click what is called the Terminal ( application )

The terminal application is just a small screen, with text on it where we can type commands.

Then, we cant to copy and paste these commands into the terminal.

( to copy and paste, you want to use your mouse, drag a box over the two lines above to highlight then)

Then, right click on the highlighted text , left click on copy

Then, go to the terminal screen, left click where you can type, then right click, and then click paste..

You should now see those commands inside the terminal box.. Now hit enter..

That will run the command.

Now its just time to close mail and open it.. And then open an email message, and the click file, print preview.. And see if it looks right..

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Your instructions are clear but my wife and I both tried to highlight and drag the instruction lines into the "terminal box" but cannot complete that task. We've been at it for 30 mins. Whenever we click onto the highlighted lines the terminal box disappears and it will not allow us to type the lines directly into the box nor can we drag the box over the lines. Sorry but we're stuck here.

Thank you for your reply.. And my apologies for the delay in responding to you..

Just now seen your reply and had a chance to get back to you.

Ok, when you get to the terminal window box.

If you use your mouse and left click after the last lign of text.. right after the $ sign.

Thats where you want to left click.. Once you left click.

try typing, can you type there now?

OK, we managed to type the 2 lines into the terminal box, followed the steps you instructed and printed an e-mail. The problem still exists. By the way, the print is so large on the e-mail, it has no choice but spill over. Can an adjustment there solve the problem?

To be clear.. after you typed the commands, you then hit enter on your keyboard..

It didnt give any error did it on the page? Say the command wasnt recognized, or accepted?

I tried twice more after your last message and, yes, I hit enter and closed/re-opened the e-mail, but we still have the problem with the printing. I could not see any error message or confirmation. What next?

Would you mind if I connected to your mac from here.. So that I can see what settings you have set for printing.. And I can try to correct the settings myself?

I was away from the computer for awhile: sorry for the wait. Yes, you can hook in. What do you need me to do?

We need to try and setup the secure connection first..

To do so, click the link below

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=dcb26422-aee9-407f-8371-3c02b11a6555&SUPPORT=JAVAW

Agree to the terms.. Then.. Download the elsinore file. Once downloaded.. Click on it to open and install it.

You should see a screen that says joining.. Please send me a reply when you get to that screen.. ( or if you get stuck, please send me a reply too)

Thanks,

Dustin S.

I have completed the download. Have at it please. Pierre

Thank you.

I see your connection is active.. Please standby..

My next response will be in a small chat window..
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist