Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

iMovie crashes when I try to share to iDVD, iTunes or Media

Browser...
iMovie crashes when I try to share to iDVD, iTunes or Media Browser
6/5/2013
Mike, Mac Medic
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

10.7.5

2.8 HHz i5

4GB 1333MHz DDR3

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

It is ok.

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so:

Quit all apps, then open Terminal copy and paste this line and then hit Return. Try iMovie after:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

How do I get to Terminal Line, I restarted after verificationbtw

Go to Applications / Utilities double click Terminal.app

It says it does not exist, I deleted them earlier. BTW, I cannot cut and paste, I am using two computers. One to communicate with you the other is the one with the issue.

What version of iMovie?

It says: No such file or directory

I went into library and deleted the plist for iMovieApp yesterday

Yes but what version of iMovie are you using? If you ran iMovie since you deleted the Preference file it should have been recreated.

iMovie 11

I ran the terminal several times, if I have a space between rm and the squiggly line it goes back to the terminal, no space and it says no such file or directory

Right... the space is correct and when there is no error message that means it worked. Open iMovie and go to iMovie / About iMovie, what is the exact version number listed?

9.0.9

OK does this happen with ALL Projects or just one?

It worked last week with another project, I just tried it on a smaller project and it worked fine.

OK try a new project too. If that also works then there is a problem with that particular Project. I suggest you try removing items from the project one by one to find out what is causing the project. You can Duplicate the project first.

Maybe try removing all the audio to see if it crashes. Then try the video, then the pictures.

This will help you distinguish if it is the audio, video or pictures that are the project.

Then when you find out which one is causing the problem you can start narrowing it down further.
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic