Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I had a MacBook Pro that crashed. I bought a new one and was

I had a MacBook Pro...
I had a MacBook Pro that crashed. I bought a new one and was successful in salvaging all of my data and applications from the old one with few problems. However, when I tried to open Adobe GoLive (an app that have used for years on my web site), the message said it had to be reactivation. Every attempt I made to do so failed. I know Adobe no longer supports GoLive. However, I should be able to continue to use it. My holdup is that GoLive wants a "reaction number (6 little boxes)" to allow me to continue to use. I spent 90 minutes with Adobe tech support (4 different people) and go nothing but runaround and "I don't know." You are my last resort, I'm desperate.
6/4/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello Bill, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I will do what I can but do not expect too much.

The number it is asking for was stored in the GoLive plist file. It was also included with the installation DVDs or CDs whichever it was along with the documentation.

That does not mean that Adobe will acknowledge it as they no longer support it.
Chances are that an upgrade to Dreamweaver is in order.
You say a new MBP, one problem could well be that OS X 10.8.3 is not compatible, this is common nowadays.
You might try this forum but again do not expect too much.

Best I can do.

I did check that link. It's not an incompatibility with 10.8.3. The old computer was also on 10.8.3 and it worked great then. I have both the activation key and serial numbers from the application that was moved to the new computer:

Serial # 1033-0043-2017-9359-3156-9298
Activation# 2266-0027-3417-8632-2317-9713-0278-4369

It just keeps asking for a new reactivation number. The old activation number doesn't work. I'm so frustrated.

Have you tried trashing the GoLive plist? It will create a new one and it may then accept the key.
Next I suggest uninstalling it completely, it may take some hunting to find bits and pieces or use this utility.
Then reinstall it and try the keys.
It may be tied to hardware (which now has different identifiers) and the plist might cure that.
To find the plist hold Option and click on Go to revel the user Library.
graphic
Then use the search box to track it down.
It may be a folder or separate files.
Try that and let me know.

Daniel, I checked that link again with no. Luck. I trashed the plist with no change in my attempt to open GoLive. I can't zap GoLive since I have ago lost the original disks, if indeed, I ever had them. I may have downloaded it way back when. I realize they don't support it anymore but they really should at least have a way that previous users could keep using.

Any OTHER thoughts?

As much as you do not want to hear this I think it is time to move on. This looks like an exercise in frustration.
Without the installation disks I see no other way around this.

Daniel, Mac Genius

I was afraid this was the case but I had to give it one more. You've always been helpful in the past and I knew if there was a viable solution, Daniel would know it. Now I'll turn to DreamWeaver albeit reluctantly. Thanks.

Bill

Daniel, Mac Genius