Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

macbook pro passport external hard drive been backing up

macbook pro passport external hard drive been...
macbook pro
passport external hard drive

been backing up items, now trying to move some files to the passport but it won't take them.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

How are you trying to move them and what error do you receive, if any?

no error, just get that circle with a slash in it and it won't paste into the drive folder

Thanks, Nickee.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

10.7.5

Thanks again.

In the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose Computer.

Locate your external drive and Control-click on it, then choose Get Info from the pop-up menu.

Can you tell me what it states for:
Capacity
Available
Used

Also, at the very bottom of the Get Info pane, there should be an option to "ignore ownership on this volume". Is it checked or unchecked?

319 capacity

199 available

119 used

I dont see that option

It may be hidden under "Sharing & Permissions". There should be a small triangle to the left of the label to toggle the view of this section.

it says you can only read, there's no box to check or uncheck

Hmmm, that's curious.

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your external Hard Drive volume.

On the right hand side of the page, click "Verify Disk" (If the procedure uncovers errors, please let me know for further instructions to repair)

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac and try to move a file to the external drive.

If it does not work, in the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose Computer.

Does it still list your acces as read only? If so, click the orange padlock and authenticate with your admin accound password.

Then change the Read Only option next to your user name to Read & Write.

Try to move a file to the external drive.

utilities isn't listed in my finder

its on the launch pad

but there's no external hard drive volme on it

it sounds like you may be familiar with a different version?

The steps in the above procedure will work fine on your version but you may be missing a step or two.

You should still be able to get to Disk Utility via Launchpad, however. It should be listed under the Utilities or Other folder in Launchpad.

It should look similar to this:
graphic

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Verify volume failed: Invalid request.

both of the permission buttons are greyed out

Ok, close Disk Utility.

What does it list for "Format"?

theres no go menu

The Go menu option appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen when you are in the Finder or click on the Desktop. It should be in the same place as you found it for previous instructions that called for it.

no offense, but i didnt use the previous instructions, i kind of wandered till I found it. As I said, you are thinking of a different version.

When I click on launch, i see about 30 icons

then if you click utilities, there are about 20 icons

then I chose disk utility from there

Your screenshot was about 1 inch by 1 inch, impossible to read

again, no offense, but you're instructions aren't following what I'm finding on my computer. With that being said, I did find the 'go' now that you explained where it was.

When i go there the format says

Windows NT File System (NTFS)

Nickee,

if you are having an issue understanding something in the instructions then please feel free to stop me at any time and ask for clarification as it will help things go easier and may decrease your frustration level. I'm more than happy to expand on anything I can in order to help you but I won't know if you are lost unless you tell me.

That said, I'm not thinking of a different version. I'm incredibly familiar with Lion (OS X 10.7.5) and have been running OS X since the original release in 2001. I generally won't give you a set of instructions without verifying that they will work for you or making note if there may be differences between versions. Smile

You should be able to click on any screenshot to see a larger version. If you are accessing this discussion via mail, you can also view it directly on the site via the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/7sqgh-macbook-pro-passport-external-hard-drive-been-backing.html

Your external drive is apparently formatted for use with a Windows computer. Do you share the drive with a Windows PC or only use it with your Mac?

Thank you for that. Yes, I share it with my pc, I've actually been backing up pictures, music, ect, in an effort to have multiple copies of everything.

Okay, the picture is becoming clearer I think.

Is this the first time you've tried moving items to this drive under OS X?

I want to say that I have, but I can't say for sure 100% since I've been using both to move things around, so it may be possible, i'd never actually moved something onto this drive. Is it possible?

It would make sense if you've only copied FROM the hard drive instead of TO it.

When I had you check the format earlier, you replied with "Windows NT File System (NTFS)". OS X 10.7.5 can "read" this format (which is why Get Info says it is Read Only) but it can not write to the drive as NTFS format is only used with Windows computers and not Macs.

You can reformat the drive to something else that would allow read/write on both computers BUT this would mean erasing the drive. So, any content on the drive that is not currently stored somewhere else would need to be backed up.

Without reformatting the drive, you won't be able to copy files to it from the Mac, however.

If you'd like to reformat the drive (once you've backed up any needed files), here are the instructions for doing so. Again, feel free to ask any and all questions that may come to mind as you do it.

In Disk Utility, choose your external hard drive from the listing in the left sidebar
graphic

and then choose the "Erase" tab.
graphic

Select MS-DOS (FAT) from the drop down box.
graphic

Now click Erase.

Once the process has completed, exit Disk Utility and you should be done.

once that is done, i will be able to use it in the way im trying to/ with both pc and mac?

Yes, once it is reformatted then it should allow you to read & write on both Mac and Windows PC as you have been trying to do.

John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid