Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Logitech Media Server Preference Pane will no longer open,

Customer Question

My Logitech Media Server Preference Pane will no longer open, so I cannot connect my Squeezebox. I am running Mac OS X 10.7.5 on a 2010 Mac Mini SSD. The music is stored on a LaCie little big disk. It operated fine for over a year.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already run MacKeeper, but I did what you said and the Mac HD is OK. I am going to see if I can go back into the Time Machine to a date when I know that the Logitech Media server was working, and see if I can find the files that made it run. I thought that if I restored them individually I might get the computer to revert to its former condition. Does that sound possible? Otherwise, I have some detailed instructions for removing all the Logitech sever related files and re-installing. It is a bit daunting for a non-geek, but I might have a go. Finally, I have instructions to do 'port forwarding' in case that helps. I'd only attempt such things if I had expert help however - which is where you come in.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
MacKeeper is crap in my opinion and does nothing useful. Please follow my instructions to be sure and we can continue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As you are so brusque with your comments about MacKeeper, I have decided to terminate this. And to sell the Logitech Squeezebox ... Enough time wasted on useless gear and unhelpful 'experts'.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I thought I was helping you out... why are you so sensitive about the software you didn't write it? It's not your fault the anger was with the developer I'm sorry you thought that was directed at you. You are not alone.. Sorry again.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If you can forgive my attitude which was totally directed at the developer I can still help you. Let me know. Sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

I'll assume you have checked for updates here correct?

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

_____