Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, My I photo quit unexpectedly. I am worried I will lose

Hi, My I photo quit unexpectedly...

My I photo quit unexpectedly. I am worried I will lose my photos.
I am not computer savvy and need some help!

Thank you in advance

Process: iPhoto [243]
Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto
Version: 9.4.3 (9.4.3)
Build Info: iPhotoProject-720091000000000~1
App Item ID: XXXXXXXXX
App External ID: 15017489
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [117]

Date/Time: 2013-05-28 18:53:23.331 +0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: (NNN) NNN-NNNNsec
Crashes Since Last Report: 32
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 60765 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 22
Anonymous UUID: 0A367249-C7DA-4266-AF52-4439B27F5B1E

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000034

VM Regions Near 0x34:
--> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
VM_ALLOCATE 0000000000001000-000000000000b000 [ 40K] ---/--- SM=NUL
5/28/2013
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When did this problem started ?

today

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Do you have any external hard drive or backup drives ?

MAC OS X Build 11G63

I have a external hard drive.... my photos have not been backed up in awhile

Version 10.7.5

Lindsay, First, before troubleshooting we can backup your current iPhoto Library. Goto Macintosh HD > Users > home folder > Pictures folder and you can find your iPhoto Library there. Copy your iPhoto Libraries to your external hard drive. Then we can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not. Follow the steps below;

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't work then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Where is my Macintosh HD??

Macintosh HD is your hard disk's name. You can find it in the desktop or in the finder (in left column)

It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc

Let me know if you have any difficulty...

I am sorry.... in the finder I do not see user.

I realize this must ridiculous...

It is in Macintosh HD. There is another way to get to the Pictures folder. Click on the blue finder icon in the dock (the left icon) and from the Finder window, open Pictures folder. You can find the iPhoto Library there.

I clicked on i photos library

and a window popped up...

restore windows

the application "i photo" unexpectanlty quit when trying to retore its window. do you want to restore its window.

do not retore window OR restore window

I have clicked on both and they do not work

No, don't open it. Just copy it to your external hard drive. Don't double click on it.
Lindsay, if you are unable to backup then just go ahead and rebuild your iPhoto Library.
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  3. Open iPhoto.

i have 10 more mins till its backed up

Let it complete...
If you have any trouble rebuilding the library, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

I rebuilt the library... it took awhile.

It seemed to be working after but every couple of seconds I would have the waiting colour wheel symbol.

I restarted my computer and now its not working again

Did you tried rebuilding with Fat Cat iPhoto Library Manager application ?

no, well i do not think so. How do i do that

Lindsay, Download the Photo Library Manager from here (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Install it and open it. Then please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Let me know how it goes...

its done. my i photo says:

i photo- i photo library rebuilt

should i restart??

Yes. Then hold down Option key on your Keyboard and open iPhoto. Then select the rebuilt iPhoto Library.
Ashik, Mac Technician

I tried to do this and this popped up

which library do you want i photo to use?

3 options:

i photo library (rebuilt).photolibrary (default)

iphoto library

iphoto library

yes... it is working any other steps

No Lindsay, your old library was corrupted. We've just created a brand new working library using iPhoto Library Manager. Your iPhoto is now using the new 'rebuilt' iPhoto Libarry. Just restart your Mac and see how it goes.

If you are satisfied with my service, don't forget to rate me Positively.

Best Regards,

Thank you for your aid. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders as I have been stressed out about this all day.

Excellent service I will rate!

You're most welcome Lindsay. Always backup your libraries and if it happens again, you can easily restore them from backup.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician